PEAX Equipment

Christmas Crew Cab

Summitthunting

My in-laws gave me a Crew Cab for Christmas and I have a few question for the guys that use these. I usually day hunt with one or two 5 day backcountry
mixed in. My current packs are a Eberlestock X1 and an old Gregory external frame. I've seen a lot of chatter about new lighter packs from Mystery
Ranch and was wondering if I should return this and wait for the new stuff? If I keep it what accessories should I get for it?

q.jpg

Last edited:
I use my cc for all hunting occasions. I pack a roll top dry bag in the cargo hold with my bivy gear for extended trips. I like the fact that once an animal is on the ground I can carry heavy loads without going back for another pack. The CC will outperform your other packs for hauling weight without question. The new MR packs are nice but do not underestimate the CC as I believe it is still one of their best bags.

The CC is a great bag. Newer is not always better . There will always be newer.

A lid is a good idea for securing those extra heavy pack outs .
Pockets (2) on the wing belts are very useful.
I purchased two GPS pouches from Kifaru and had these sewn on ea shoulder strap.

Backpacking pack opinions are endless.
However, kind of hard to find an experienced user of the CC that didn't (doesn't) like it.

I made a similar upgrade a few years ago, Eberlestock Just One to a MR CC. I packed quite a few quarters with that Eberlestock but the CC beats it hands down. For day hunts it's a tough pack to beat. You can make it work for multi-day trips within reason as long as you're not packing the kitchen sink. I'd say keep the CC and add a larger pack to your arsenal if / when you get into multi-day trips more frequently or want to do extended backpacking trips.

Last edited:
Its a great do-all bag. I've used it for long backpack trips with a lightweight dry bag, but it really shines as a day hunt bag that can haul out quarters and oddly shaped loads.

I've also been tempted by the talk of the new lightweight options from MR, but you'd have to wait for a frame re-design to really see significant improvements. Lighter bags aren't going to shave a ton of weight off the NICE system as a whole, there is only so much bag weight you can shave off. If you want ultralight, not sure when MR is going to be going down that road or if they have, when products will be released.

Since I've already got the NICE frame, I got a Metcalf for xmas. Want to try that out for the longer backcountry trips.

I have been pouring over Mystery Ranch, Kifaru, and Stone Glacier reviews, forums and everything else I can read. I think I'm going to go down to Kifaru and take a look at a Nomad. Thanks for the replies. This is a harder decision than buying a new car!

Back