MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Christensen Arms Mesa rifle

Kbbond

Anybody have much experience with the CA Mesa rifle? I am looking at getting a new rifle and decided I was willing to spend some money for a quality rifle, and after looking around, became very interested in the CA Mesa chambered in 28 Nosler.

I am not looking at shooting animals over 500 yards, I just feel like too much can go wrong at distances beyond that on a live target -- but that's philosophical so that doesn't need to go much further. That being said, I would like a gun that regularly performs at 1,000 yard distances on the range. It seems like the CA Mesa fits the bill and doesn't break the bank either, allowing me to put some good glass on top.

Anybody have one of these rifles or have any experience with them? Curious about consistency, durability, customer service, etc.

Thanks!

I've had one for about two years now. Love it. I get .5 MOA with 160 Accubond handloads. Durability is excellent. Customer service is great. Call down there and talk to there warranty dept. You actually get a live human being that will answer your questions. I did prior to purchase.

I also think the TriggerTech trigger they have is the best on the market. Good luck with your decision.

I'm waiting on them to make a left handed long action rifle.

Reactions: BRI
In early January, I found a screaming deal on a Mesa in 6.5 Creed, couldn't stop myself from buying a rifle I didn't need, and ended up mounting a Nightforce SHV 3-10x42 on it with Talley Lightweight (lows). I haven't shot it much yet, but did do some initial zeroing and testing with 140grn Sierra Matchkings, and after some initial tinkering shot a 5-shot group just under 3/4 inch. I am expecting that I will be able to find a hunting load that is in the same accuracy neighborhood.

I shot it with the break on; which is probably unnecessary with the 6.5, but it is a kitty cat to shoot, and with relatively little powder being burnt the blast isn't too bad.
CA Mesa.JPG

I have an x-bolt hells canyon LR in 28 nosler and it has great ballistics for reaching out past 500. It is a hot load, so barrel will burn up faster (most authorities quote me at around 700-800 rounds). The recoil is less than a 300 win mag, but more than a 6.5 (creedmor or prc). I didn't love my CA ridgeline, but I think CA makes some quality rifles. Post pics when you get it!

I have a mesa long range hunter in 300wm. I absolutely love that gun best trigger I've ever felt and it get 1/2 moa all day long and that's factory ammo.

My buddy has a Mesa in 7 RM. It is a really nice rifle and shoots alright so far. Did a quick load development before our antelope hunt. Plan on dialing it in better this summer. I considered getting one, but honestly after seeing the Bergara B14 Ridge in person I think I would go with that instead. $750 compared to what $1200 for the Mesa? Granted the Mesa has a fluted bolt and muzzle brake, but is that worth the $400ish difference...

My buddy has a Mesa in 7 RM. It is a really nice rifle and shoots alright so far. Did a quick load development before our antelope hunt. Plan on dialing it in better this summer. I considered getting one, but honestly after seeing the Bergara B14 Ridge in person I think I would go with that instead. $750 compared to what $1200 for the Mesa? Granted the Mesa has a fluted bolt and muzzle brake, but is that worth the $400ish difference...

Does your buddy have the Mesa LR?

FWIW, my standard Mesa is not really comparable with the Ridge from a handling and weight perspective. It only weighs 6.5 lbs and is probably more comparable to a Kimber Montana versus a Ridge at ~1lb heavier. Not trying to talk you out of a Ridge, but I would know what you are getting yourself into, if you really like your buddy's Mesa, they are kind of apples and oranges.

Does your buddy have the Mesa LR?

FWIW, my standard Mesa is not really comparable with the Ridge from a handling and weight perspective. It only weighs 6.5 lbs and is probably more comparable to a Kimber Montana versus a Ridge at ~1lb heavier. Not trying to talk you out of a Ridge, but I would know what you are getting yourself into, if you really like your buddy's Mesa, they are kind of apples and oranges.

No, he has the regular Mesa. I don't really see how they are apples and oranges. The listed weight (long action) for the Mesa is 7.3 lbs and the Bergara Ridge is 7.9. The Mesa LR is listed at 9.9 lbs, which would be 2 pounds heavier than the Ridge. I can tell you the Mesa's advertised weight is inaccurate. My buddy's is heavier than the listed weight so the difference may be negligible if Bergara's weights are actually accurate. Granted the Ridge doesn't have a muzzlebrake which would make it heavier when added. Rifles about half a pound difference in weight are apples to apples and ones that are around 2 pounds difference are apples to oranges in my book.

Last edited:
No, he has the regular Mesa. I don't really see how they are apples and oranges. The listed weight (long action) for the Mesa is 7.3 lbs and the Bergara Ridge is 7.9. I can tell you the Mesa's advertised weight is inaccurate. My buddy's is heavier than the listed weight so the difference may be negligible if Bergara's weights are actually accurate. Granted the Ridge doesn't have a muzzlebrake which would make it heavier when added. Rifles about half a pound difference in weight are apples to apples in my book.

I will have to throw mine on a scale tonight. Like I said, not trying to talk you out of a Ridge. I held the Mesa in 6.5, and the Ridge in 6.5, standing in the store, when I bought my Mesa, and they didn't feel the same, primarily because of the heavier profile barrel the Ridge has. That is all I am saying. What tipped it in the Mesa's favor for me was the Triggertech trigger and that it is Cerakoted, (plus getting it well under MSRP). I preferred the stock feel of the Mesa, but that is just a personal preference.

I am certain you will be happy with the Bergara, they seem great.

I will have to throw mine on a scale tonight. Like I said, not trying to talk you out of a Ridge. I held the Mesa in 6.5, and the Ridge in 6.5, standing in the store, when I bought my Mesa, and they didn't feel the same, primarily because of the heavier profile barrel the Ridge has. That is all I am saying. What tipped it in the Mesa's favor for me was the Triggertech trigger and that it is Cerakoted, (plus getting it well under MSRP). I preferred the stock feel of the Mesa, but that is just a personal preference.

I am certain you will be happy with the Bergara, they seem great.

I don't think a guy could go wrong with either. Pretty similar other than the price difference IMHO.

Back