choke tubes

ruger243223

Which choke tube would you recommend. I am shooting both my 20 and 12 in a remington. 20 is a 1187 and 12 is an 870. Looking at shooting both 5s and 6s lead. 3 inch in the 20 and 3.5 in the 12. Any help would be great. Thanks HAPPY HUNTING

I have a Kicks .675 in a Mossberg that really performs. If there is an NWTF Still target shoot in your area you may be able to test some different tubes....we do that at our shoot. Check the website www.nwtf.org.
WD

rugar, The tube's not the most important thing, it's the pattern you get. Get a full or extra full choke tube and pattern your gun with different shells. It can get expensive trying lots of shells , so sometimes you can share the cost with friends and all pattern at the same time. Don't go into it with any pre-conceived notions. You might find out Remington copper plated 4s work best in one gun and Federal plain lead 6s work better in another gun. You have to try everything in all different shot sizes and loads to find out for sure.

Pattern at 30 yards and then at 40 yards. You might find out just about anything will work at 30 yards, but not all loads will be sufficient at 40 yards.

Most sporting good stores have turkey patterning targets, but I make my own and copy them at Kinko's.

You can kill a lot of turkeys with a 12 ga. that you can't kill with a 20 ga.

It's all a matter of how responsible you are about the ranges you're going to shoot at. I like my turkeys right at 30 yards, but it doesn't always work that way. 35 yards is my limit, although my gun shoots a good pattern at 40.

I did this google search and got lots of info on patterning for turkeys:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=patterning+shotguns+for+turkeys

When I started hunting turkeys in 1968 all we had was 12 ga. 2 3/4 inch chambers and full choke factory barrels. They work just fine with the right shells and the right ranges.

This year I'm going back to using my ol' single barrel 12 ga. with a hammer and 2 3/4 inch shells, just for old times sake.:D

I have to agree with Wally. I too use the Kick's in my Benelli. It patterns much better then the Hasting's I'd been using for the past ten years.
The Kick's choke with those new "high dollar" Winchester shells really makes for some tight patterns out to 40 yds.!! :D

well broke down today and ordered the 660 in 12guage and the 570 for the 20guage both are kicks choke tubes. Looking forward to putting the hurt on some birds. Thanks to all who supplied info. HAPPY HUNTING

When I 1st went with a friend in S.C. he took one look at my gun and said you need a choke. He picked it out for me sence I knew squat about turkey hunting few years back and I bought a Pure Gold 670. My pattren was so tight at 20 yards a little to either side and it was a missed bird. I then took a jake at 35 yards and smoked him.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T_allen7
Back