PEAX Equipment

Chamber cleaning question.

Mako

How do you clean the chambers in your bolt actions? I've seen the AR specific chamber brushes, but can't find anything specific to bolt actions. I have a 6.5 CM and a .270 Win and would like to be able to effectively clean out the chambers and throats. What do you all use?

I use chamber mop after I’ve finishing cleaning the barrel and removed my bore guide. A bore guide is a must have IMO. I apply some brake cleaner and swab out the chamber with one mop and then run a dry mop after.
To clean the throat it really depends on a number of things. If you have a carbon ring it’s going to take some serious scrubbing and brush work/ bore paste.
If no carbon ring is present just soaking a patch with your cleaning solvent and letting it sit in the throat a few minutes usually takes care of most of it.
I use boretech products for my cleaning needs.

I use chamber mop after I’ve finishing cleaning the barrel and removed my bore guide. A bore guide is a must have IMO. I apply some brake cleaner and swab out the chamber with one mop and then run a dry mop after.
To clean the throat it really depends on a number of things. If you have a carbon ring it’s going to take some serious scrubbing and brush work/ bore paste.
If no carbon ring is present just soaking a patch with your cleaning solvent and letting it sit in the throat a few minutes usually takes care of most of it.
I use boretech products for my cleaning needs.
I clean my rifles after every outing, so hopefully the carbon ring isn't an issue.

I typically run a wet patch, then use a brush.
Wet patch again, with dry patches.
Typically with Hoppes #9.

I clean my rifles after every outing, so hopefully the carbon ring isn't an issue.
You are probably over cleaning your rifles. I don’t clean a barrel until accuracy starts to fall off or if I’ve been hunting in wet weather I’ll run a few patches down the barrel.

Thats a good point. I should probably just do a carbon clean and avoid running copper solvent until accuracy decreases. Would that make a difference?
Many things can factor into how dirty a barrel is like powder, cartridge especially overbore ones, etc.
If it’s a custom barrel I would shoot it until it stops grouping well then clean it. If you hunt in wet conditions you can run a patch or 2 after a hunt to make sure it’s dry also.

If you are cleaning your rifles after every outing be aware of some copper cleaners are very abrasive and can harm more than good if you aren't careful. I don't clean my rifles until i notice accuracy starting to fall. On some guns that is 150 rounds, others it is 60 rounds. Get to know your rifle. When it comes time for me to clean i utilize Bore-Max bore foam then i get all that cleaned out and run an oiled patch. Then keep running dry patches until they come out dry. Always use a bore guide and i always use a ziploc at the end of the barrel. Tighten the zip lock right up to the barrel so when a patch falls off it goes right into the bag.

For cleaning the chamber after done with barrel, I use bronze brush with shotgun patch. Usually 45 Cal brush fits good, 20 ga brush for 4570. I always use bore guide but still get puddle of solution at chamber throat

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hardan9
Back