Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Carrizo Plains

Calif. Hunter

Here are some photos from our trip to Carrizo Plains Nat. Monument - you can see that it gets pretty hot there in the summer!

048437.jpg

One of the three rabbits we got.

048439.jpg

We saw several antelope, including ones with fawns. Every BLM person we saw told us to shoot every coyote we saw, as they were decimating the antelope fawns.

048440.jpg

My friend, Mike Jennings, at Soda Lake - it is just a salt flat at this time of year.

Good looking desert country Rick.

Being from So Cal do you always wear the white gloves when hunting?

The ones you wore pig hunting with sequins and rhinestones looked a little more classy.:0

Is that a Michael Jackson thing,with the gloves
biggrin.gif
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
? Have you got any of yourself wearing gloves and doing the
moonwalk,with your hair on fire
biggrin.gif
?

Seriously,is rabbit open year round or something,and what kind of pistol were you using ?

The main reason for the gloves is there are plague and hanta virus warnings in that area for the fleas and such with the jackrabbits and ground squirrels. We stay out all day, and there aren't washrooms around to wash your hands.
wink.gif
At that area, it is almost 50 miles to water and gas, and when we're camping, we try to conserve water as much as possible. A 100 mile round trip just for water or gas is almost half a day of shooting wasted!
biggrin.gif
I was shooting a Ruger Super Single-Six in .22 mag. The season is open all year on jacks, but opens on July 1 for cottontails.

dang good reason to be wearing gloves!!We use some real lightweight cotton ones like that in the lab,worn under the latex gloves,for those who are allergic to latex.

Years I ago we visited the little memorial to James Dean in the Carrizo Plains. He died there long time ago in fiery crash.

We saw a few antelope, the country reminded me of southern Wyoming near Rawlins. Have the 'lopes ever reached huntable numbers?
Just curious.
Jack

Great pics CH...
Looks as if you had a good time any way, even with all the little creepy crawly's that seem to detour a lot of others..
biggrin.gif

I also hunt Carrizo. Great place. San Andreas fault runs thru it, actually to the side of it.You can walk right down in it and do some callin'.

The James Dean monument is at the little cafe on the road side but thats not where he actually crashed.Little further up the road.The man that was involved in the crash,Jack Turnupseed, has a business in the town I work in that is still run by his family.Jack died a few years ago.I always heard he never spoke about the accident much.

Welcome, Lone Howl! It was our first trip to Carrizo, but it won't be our last!

James Dean died further up the valley, near Cholame at the junction of Highways 41 and 46. His buddy riding with him survived the accident, and said that Dean's last words were "He's got to see us." The memorial is by the cafe, but he died nearer the junction of the two highways. Turnipseed was on one highway and Dean was on the other, and crashed at the junction. Carrizo is between highway 166 and highway 58.

We walked through the fault a little while we were there.

Hey Calif. Hunter, maybe we can hook up over at Carrizo this winter and do some callin. Ill be over there a few times Im sure.
I usually go a little further west to Queen Bee area for some deer hunting and grey fox when season roll around.
I love calling Grey fox!

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back