Canyon Ferry Bozeman Water Pipeline

Brown said the closed basin of Gallatin Valley has little to no unclaimed surface water rights and purchasing pieced together rights from land owners would be cost prohibitive for the local governments.

"Buying surface water rights around the valley from farmers is very expensive," Brown said. "Canyon Ferry water rights are cheap comparatively."
It's really hard to believe that buying surface water rights is more expensive than a $2+ billion pipeline (and let's be honest, it would probably wind up being $10b).

Guy still stands to profit big time.

Murdochs coming. Sad Town and Country pulled out. Traffic has exploded at that junction, the Rest Area will blow things up. Not thrilled.
Yeah, the tax payers will be on the hook to fund two traffic signals at the interchange or roundabouts $$$$, whereas the traffic control was already in place at the original location. I guess it'll be good for the contractors. I just noticed that there is a continuous obstacle constructed in the interstate median from Logan east to the canyon because too many people drive too fast for conditions during periods of unfavorable roads.

I don’t know much about water rights but I find it hard to believe that the cost of water rights to be used in the area they are attached to is more than building a pipeline. I would think the market for these rights isn’t great as agricultural lands in the valley for them to be used on is consumed.

Yeah, the tax payers will be on the hook to fund two traffic signals at the interchange or roundabouts $$$$, whereas the traffic control was already in place at the original location. I guess it'll be good for the contractors. I just noticed that there is a continuous obstacle constructed in the interstate median from Logan east to the canyon because too many people drive too fast for conditions during periods of unfavorable roads.
I pretty much can predict wrecks in Logan before I pass through depending on the road conditions.

It's really hard to believe that buying surface water rights is more expensive than a $2+ billion pipeline (and let's be honest, it would probably wind up being $10b).
I'm still baffled at the cost being 1.7-5.7B for a pipeline. I engineer and work on estimates in the $Bs and the complexity is 100 higher than a pipeline. I'd love to see the estimate. I'm guessing it includes purchasing easements/property, a capx and opx of a water treatment plant, plus replacement for 100 years. No way the actual construction could be that much. I worked on project that was over 300miles long, through BFE, permafrost, boring under huge rivers, etc, that and had all sorts of logistic issues, and it didn't cost this much. It has to include Opx and all-in costs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back