Calling contests

Ithaca 37

Any of you guys ever get into calling contests? Any wins? I think they're good for newer hunters for learning how to call under pressure. No matter how nervous you are when calling in front of an audience, you'll be more nervous when an actual gobbler is the judge and you don't want to blow the chance at a good tom. I always feel the most pressure when I'm calling for someone who is new at turkey hunting and I'm real anxious to get them one. I know there's a million things that can go wrong, especially with a beginner hunter, and I always want everything to go perfect. My goal every year is to help at least one new turkey hunter get a bird. That's usually about a hundred times harder than getting one myself!

I would love to get involved someday with calling contests. I have "gag Reflex" so bad that I would only be able to use hand held friction calls. I have been to 2 contests as a spectator and I can tell you one thing. I have not heard any hens sound that good so far. :D
My eventual goal as a turkey hunter is to take people and call their bird in for them also. I will be trying that for the youth season here for my boys. (If they let me) :D

Nut it won't be long now. I had my calls out the other day and started playing with them got so rubber leged I had to sit down. Florida has changed the dates on the northern season so we will be leaving a little later in March. But getting started in March then just move north each month. Can't wait to here the tom gobble. BILL

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back