California X5A

I did X3a about 5 years ago and first day was cold with a little cloud cover and my dad got a good 3pt. Within an hour of daylight it looked like a civil war reenactment was going on. Saw one big forky running for its life a full battalion chasing it down. Lady kept shooting from 300 yd out even though I was 50 yrds from it. She gut shot it twice. Long story short between the idiots and the heat we did not have the greatest hunt. Saving points now and it seems like each year the zones take 1-2 more points so we will see where we go.

Well, I had opportunities, good times, pure frustrations, and everything in between. I made a total of two trips to hunt (only 16 day season). First trip up didn't see a whole lot deer at first was able to find a spring and had some young bucks hanging around does. Was able to get a shot off on a forkie, but I had somehow bumped by scope or something and so obviously I missed. Went home regrouped and re-sighted back in we headed back up north. Saw lots of sign ended up going to a new spot we hadn't scouted but ended up getting on a nice 3x3, and decided to make a stock. This is where it went from good to really bad. A group of hunters who had seen us in the area 30 minutes before and left came back and saw us making a stock. They drove ahead of us and had a bed full of young men all jump out and proceeded to unload there rifles in to this buck who was not only skylined but was mixed in with the does. They ended up harvesting this buck, all we got to witness was the worse case of unsportsman like hunting I've ever seen. This being a premium tag (2nd hardest to get) I find it high unlikely all 4 individuals had a tag, for an area that only has 75 available. Enough with my rant. My girlfriend was able to harvest her 2nd blacktail ever and it will be tough one for her to beat.

Attachments

• buck 2020.jpg
    buck 2020.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 8
I did X3a about 5 years ago and first day was cold with a little cloud cover and my dad got a good 3pt. Within an hour of daylight it looked like a civil war reenactment was going on. Saw one big forky running for its life a full battalion chasing it down. Lady kept shooting from 300 yd out even though I was 50 yrds from it. She gut shot it twice. Long story short between the idiots and the heat we did not have the greatest hunt. Saving points now and it seems like each year the zones take 1-2 more points so we will see where we go.
that was my thinking about chasing x5a in regards to points. figured I'd rather hunt more that hold out for that tag. looks like more and more out of state hunts in my future

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back