California Rice

Still smackin honkers and Lards here in Montana but I would be lying if I said I didn’t miss the sight of a hundred pack of pintails over the grasslands. Nice shoot.

How long does your guys' season go up there?
Beginning of October thru the beginning of January, essentially.

But, really, it lasts until the ponds and lakes freeze with some big river and occasional creek duck opportunities lasting a little longer. In my area, that is sometimes a week long season or less, like last year.

How long does your guys' season go up there?
Maximum days allowed by the feds for each flyway, with a split.
Depends on if your in the central flyway or pacific but the 20th in the pacific and 19 in the central for ducks but we can shoot geese up till the 27th this year in the central.

I’ve been here 9 years and we have shot ducks and geese through the end of the season every season with some of the biggest mallard and goose feeds I’ve seen being in late Jan. I’ve never seen the birds actually leave (mallards/honkers) during the season, how and where we hunt ducks vs geese or both might change but we always hunt till the last day.

Last edited:
Maximum days allowed by the feds for each flyway, with a split.
Depends on if your in the central flyway or pacific but the 20th in the pacific and 19 in the central for ducks but we can shoot geese up till the 27th this year in the central.

I’ve been here 9 years and we have shot ducks and geese through the end of the season every season with some of the biggest mallard and goose feeds I’ve seen being in late Jan. I’ve never seen the birds actually leave (mallards/honkers) during the season, how and where we hunt ducks vs geese or both might change but we always hunt till the last day.
Ours ducks just ended tuesday. Geese go til middle of january, the last two weeks of duck season are always the best days following duck season are when I see the most mallards usually divebombing into our goose decoys. The geese really bunch up now though and with tough access your either smashing em or you got nothing. Always wanted to hunt those late season greenheads on a river somewhere in Montana....someday.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back