Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

California Desert Bighorn

Bowhunter60

While out doing some hunting this afternoon, I was sitting near the top of the mountain, when I noticed some movement about 800 yards away. A quick look through my spotting scope turned up this guy.

It was a little fascinating watching him use his horns to scrape off the thorns from a cactus, then break it open and enjoy the inside. Well, from that point on my hunt was done, as I just wanted to watch him through the spotting scope for a while.
IMG_1729.jpg
IMG_1733.jpg

Right after undergrad, I had the pleasure of spending 7 months in the California Desert Dist. going around wilderness areas and wilderness study areas documenting and repairing illegal vehicle intrusion. Found a lot of trails that I couldn't imagine being for anything but sheep, but never saw one. This was before my conversion to a hunting life, though, so I wasn't really looking. Someday, I would love to go back and spend a few weeks chasing game there. Thanks for sharing.

Very cool indeed. That must have been a great afternoon. Out of curiosity, what were you hunting that brought you into sheep country?

I was hunting for Bobcat. Had my call set up about 100 yards away from me. When the dying rabbit sound played it got his attention and he'd just look in the direction of the sound.

Since this is the California Desert Bighorn, my elevation was, at the time, only about 3,000 feet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back