Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Caliber suggestions.

Sitting here thinking and I've had lot's of rifle's I really liked. But there was one that stood out above all the rest. That would be the old Rem 660 I had in 308. Have had a 600 in 243 also but just never turned me on but the one in 308 sure did. Had 100% confidence in hitting what I aimed at with it even though I have had more accurate rifles. And that fence post they called a stock I could do without but the whole thing the way it was I couldn't discredit. The 600 in 243 for what ever reason never turned me on at all and practically the same rifle, go figure! Recoil wasn't bad but then I pretty much always shot 165 gr bullet's. 150 wouldn't shoot well, 165 was just under an inch, 180 shot about like the 165 but upped the recoil some and did some 200gr one time when I carried it fishing in Alaska. About a 2" load and really upped the recoil! But if I were to go into country like that again, I'd love to have the 660 back and that 200 gr load. I'd take it over either of the 338 mag's I've had. It was the rifle, boy it handled great and was pretty awesome with that 200gr bullet!

My son has that rifle now and I've never had another that made me so confident regardless of cartridge. If I had one of the old 338's sitting there next to that 660 in 308 and was charged by an enraged bear, I'd grab the 660. In my view that 660 in 308 was the perfect rifle/cartridge combo! I think it's about the confidence you develop in the rifle you get and you don't have it going in! You rather develop it through use over a period of time! It wasn't the most accurate rifle I ever had, not by a long shot and with that fence post of a stock was no where near the best looking, but it way my go to hunting rifle!

The question still remains.
Do you reload, or plan on only shooting factory ammo?

If reloading, i'd definitely recommend the 257 Roberts!
Factory ammo, 7mm-08.

I searched for many a year for a Ruger 77 in 257 Roberts. Until several years ago.
She's a little heavy, but carries well.
Recoil is light enough that even my recoil shy daughter likes it.
Daughter shot her first buck sith it using the 115gr Berger VLD. She said " it kinda fluffed up, legs went straight, and fell over dead".
Shot my first buck of 35 years of hunting this past season. 100gr Nosler Ballistic Tip. Pass through at about 70 yards. Ran 20-25 yards & piled up.
Coyotes HATE the Roberts with 90gr Sierra BlitzKings! Good through 400 yards plus.

7mm-08 longest deer kill was 413 yards using 140gr Berger VLD. Deer somehow made it 20 yards.

Per Europe's suggestion on the 250-3000 Savage, i'll add this.
I rebarreled my Stevens 200 (my 7mm-08 that was shot out at 6,000+ rounds) with an E.R. Shaw 24" in 250 Savage.
This past summer, had a family of 4 coyotes come past a game camera set up on a gas line, everyday at 7:30-8am.
Set up 200 yards away. Took mom, and one pup. The other 2 started running. A little over 400 yards away from me, they stopped & turned. Got the 3rd one. Last one ran off.

Picture of 5 shot group off bipod at 200 meters. 75gr Sierra HP Varmint, 250 Savage.

Attachments

• 0104211426_copy_576x1024.jpg
    0104211426_copy_576x1024.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 0
260 Remington

6x55 Swede ( In a modern action it and the 260 Remington are virtually identical in FPS.)

6.5 PRC (More pop than the 6.5 Creedmoor & I would go with it over the Creedmoor all day long.)

7mm Mauser (Great cartridge & just a wee bit over the short action lengths unless you get a Ruger Model 77 or a Winchester Model 70. Both of those have a magazine box length of about 3.0 inches.

7mm-08. (Excellent cartridge.)

My picks. Good luck.
I’d go 260 myself

To answer earlier questions, no I don’t reload.but I do save my brass and I know someone who “ can “ load for me. But I’d hate to ask. He even offered , but I’d feel bad if something went wrong. The 260 sounds promising, as does the 257 ( kinda always wanted one ) and the 7-08 looks impressive on paper. The 308 would be the maximum for me. And I only included it because of the ( normally ) abundant ammunition.
Is there any drawback to the 257 in SA? They seem more plentiful in LA.
My 6MM Model 7 was short action and it’s the same case as the 257 ( 7mm Mauser ) Bullet length I suppose.
Also, anybody have any dealings with the Ruger 77 Mark II ? I see them offered every once in a while.
Thank you all again.

Accuracy wise, how do the
260 vs 7-08 playout ?
Both are children of the 308win which is a child of the 30-06 you got rid of. Both are more than capable of taking deer to the yardages you’ve described only difference between them really is bullet selection, for the 243 deer bullets are usually in the 80grain range for copper and in the 100grain range for traditional lead core and ammo is usually same price point as 308 and both are cheaper than 7-08. For the 7-08 deer bullets are right around the 140grain range for both copper and traditional some a little heavier some a little lighter. Can’t hardly go wrong with either

To answer earlier questions, no I don’t reload.but I do save my brass and I know someone who “ can “ load for me. But I’d hate to ask. He even offered , but I’d feel bad if something went wrong. The 260 sounds promising, as does the 257 ( kinda always wanted one ) and the 7-08 looks impressive on paper. The 308 would be the maximum for me. And I only included it because of the ( normally ) abundant ammunition.
My 6MM Model 7 was short action and it’s the same case as the 257 ( 7mm Mauser ) Bullet length I suppose.
Also, anybody have any dealings with the Ruger 77 Mark II ? I see them offered every once in a while.
Thank you all again.
The Mauser cases (7X57, 8X57, 6.5X57)were designed with an intermediate length action.
My ruger is a 77 MKII. These are long actions.

There have been short action rifles chambered in 7mm Mauser, and 257 Roberts, but you typically run into 2 problems.
1) short magazine length.
2) extracting a loaded round.

Myself, i like using the Savage platform. Fairly inexpensive to find a donor rifle, fairly light weight, and the nut makes changing barrels easy.
The downside is they are not the prettiest, the triggers need work unless you get one with the AccuTrigger, and the Tupperware stocks flex pretty badly in the forestock.

You could set up a Remington as a Remage. Remington action with the Savage barrel nut system.

I actually bought a Savage 111 for a donor, as i got a smoking deal on a 24" barrel in 257 Roberts. I'm going to ream the chamber to Ackley Improved.

My favorite rifle is my 700 xcr 2 in 270w in a McMillan edgecstock with a timney trigger. I will likely try and put together a 7mm08 in the same package. My Magnums and my 3006 arent getting any daylight these days and I am doubtful they will again.

Thank you all again.
My son has a Ruger MKII that came with a walnut stock. I sold the stock (new) and got a Boyds nutmeg laminate for it. It is a beautiful stock which I had a lady hand checker it (They have that option direct from them now.), it was also pillar & glass bedded, and the trigger was set to 3# by my gunsmith. It's a great rifle and I personally feel that the Ruger scope mounting system is fantastic. As you know it's a controlled round feed action Mauser style, and something really nice is the magazine box is 3"! That allows a person to seat bullets out where they might need to be. The rifle shoots great and my son has taken antelope, deer, and elk with his Ruger chambered in 6mm Remington.

The Winchester Model 70 action is also a Mauser style and the magazine box length is also 3" in their short actions. I really like the Model 70 action. I built my 280AI using a Winchester controlled round feed action.

Last edited:
Getting too old to carry the heavy ‘06.
This past season was my last with it. Already have it sold. Looking for something short action. 308 max either 257 or 260 minimum. 7-08 in the mix too I suppose. Deer will be biggest, coyotes likely more often.
Are any of the choices inherently more accurate than the other?
I’ve also noticed the 257 was available in short as well as long action. Any drawback to short action?
I handled a 700 Mountain ( late 90’s manufacture ) and really liked the slimness and lighter weight.
Would I be any better off picking up an older 700 SA and having it barreled ?
So, between 257 and 308 accuracy wise. What say you?
forgot to add , furthest range will be 300 yds max. With most being 200.
Thanks in advance.
oldman50
Based on what you wrote, a 243 Winchester would fit the bill. With a 100 gr Partition, this is a potent round that still caries 1000 foot pounds of energy to 350 yards. Mine is a mountain weight Howa 1500. And its perfect for coyotes.

Based on what you wrote, a 243 Winchester would fit the bill. With a 100 gr Partition, this is a potent round that still caries 1000 foot pounds of energy to 350 yards. Mine is a mountain weight Howa 1500. And its perfect for coyotes.
I think this is your best bet.

IF you like your faithful old '06 and you're selling the old one just get another, a Tikka superlight or Kimber Hunter, about the same price, both have proven to be very accurate rifles - The Tikka will weigh an ounce or two over 6 lbs, Kimber maybe 6-9 oz lighter than that - I have and killed bunches of game with both, if I had to give up one I'd have a hard time choosing

I have been drooling over a Bergara Ridge in 7mm-08 for some of the same reasons OldMan50 is considering. I really don't need another rifle...but...
Actually for the same reason as OldMan50, I don't need another either. I have two 243's that could kill coyote's and my 308 would do fine on deer with less recoil than my 243's. How's that? Cast bullet's! I shoot a 180gr cast bullet in it at just over 1700fps. Recoils somewhat less than a 22RF if you can believe that! 12 grs Red Dot! Alas he doesn't handload. To bad!

Getting too old to carry the heavy ‘06.
This past season was my last with it. Already have it sold. Looking for something short action. 308 max either 257 or 260 minimum. 7-08 in the mix too I suppose. Deer will be biggest, coyotes likely more often.
Are any of the choices inherently more accurate than the other?
I’ve also noticed the 257 was available in short as well as long action. Any drawback to short action?
I handled a 700 Mountain ( late 90’s manufacture ) and really liked the slimness and lighter weight.
Would I be any better off picking up an older 700 SA and having it barreled ?
So, between 257 and 308 accuracy wise. What say you?
forgot to add , furthest range will be 300 yds max. With most being 200.
Thanks in advance.
oldman50
"getting too old to carry the heavy '06" Obviously you like the '06 so get a lighter one ! Try a Tikka T3x superlight ..... no "tupperware" and about the perfect combo of weight to usable "rifle" - Put a limbsaver recoil pad on it, Talley ring/base set and go hunting (if you are one of the koolaid crowd and insist on putting a 2lb scope on it though, why not just stay with the "heavy '06" and put a wheel on it or truck hunt ?)

Read all the posts here ..... Ya, if a 6 lb ish 30.06 shooting 165's is too much recoil for you (even with a limbsaver recoil pad) then YEP you'd better just get yerself a .243 and be done with it

If weight and recoil conscious, you’re not shooting anything bigger than a deer, and you’re not looking to shoot a long way, I’d start and stop with some in a 6mm bore. 6mm creed or 243 if buying factory ammo. If you handload and can figure out how to make a BR based cartridge feed that is a good option too and good luck trying to make it shoot bad.

They will be more pleasant to shoot than even a light recoiling 6.5 and will do everything you need on deer.

Another one that seems impossible to make shoot poorly is 6.5x47. The two I’ve had shoot any bullet/powder combo I’ve tried into ragged hole groups. It’s basically a handloaders only cartridge like the 6 BR though.

Accuracy wise, how do the
260 vs 7-08 playout ?
I strongly suspect they will play out depending on the rifle they are in and how well it's made and bedded. One 260 may well out shoot a 7mm-08 while a different 7mm-08 will out shoot that 260. Something I found over the years is I could get about 99% of the rifles I've had down around 3/4" @ 100 easily with a bit of work. But there were a couple I just was to hot on I never did the work and loading on them and they never worked out! Maybe they did for someone else!

Deer is the biggest thing I think you said you'd hunt and I don't recall if you reload. If you do what I look for is a 250-3000 Savage. Great little deer cartridge and varmint cartridge depending on the bullet you select. As for recoil, I seriously doubt you'll realize a lot of difference between any cartridge you mentioned depending on the weight of bullet's you choose. In my old 308 Rem Mod 660, 150gr bullet's were very comfortable to shoot but I liked results with 165gr better. 180gr shot as well but recoil started up and 200gr were about all I wanted in that rifle. Then just hunting deer if your 30-06 was light enought to suit you, you could drop down to 130 gr bullet's and recoil would about vanish My old 7mm Rem Mag had pretty hefty recoil with 160gr bullet's but drop down to 115gr and it was a pussy cat.

Trying to say don't simply rely on caliber to reduce recoil, think about the bullet your shooting also. I seldom ever recommend a 243 for even deer hunting but the truth is I've killed three deer with it and recoil even woth a heavy 100gr bullet just ain't that much! have killed two with the 100gr bullet and one, dropped right now to a well placed 75gr V-Max, I really don't recommend tryint that but an 87gr bullet should work well. Have some loaded up for a 243 now and very comfortable to shoot!

There is an up side to the 26 cal and 7mm-08. If you decide you want to go elk hunting there are better bullet's for them for elk. They won't kill an elk any deader than the 243 but reassuring knowing you have a better bullet.

EDIT: Something about cartridge's and their ability to kill. If i wanted to have as little recoil as possible to hunt deer, and if it was legal, I'd take my 22 mag over anything else I have!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back