Yeti GOBOX Collection

Caliber suggestions.

OldMan50

Getting too old to carry the heavy ‘06.
This past season was my last with it. Already have it sold. Looking for something short action. 308 max either 257 or 260 minimum. 7-08 in the mix too I suppose. Deer will be biggest, coyotes likely more often.
Are any of the choices inherently more accurate than the other?
I’ve also noticed the 257 was available in short as well as long action. Any drawback to short action?
I handled a 700 Mountain ( late 90’s manufacture ) and really liked the slimness and lighter weight.
Would I be any better off picking up an older 700 SA and having it barreled ?
So, between 257 and 308 accuracy wise. What say you?
forgot to add , furthest range will be 300 yds max. With most being 200.
Thanks in advance.
oldman50

260 Remington

6x55 Swede ( In a modern action it and the 260 Remington are virtually identical in FPS.)

6.5 PRC (More pop than the 6.5 Creedmoor & I would go with it over the Creedmoor all day long.)

7mm Mauser (Great cartridge & just a wee bit over the short action lengths unless you get a Ruger Model 77 or a Winchester Model 70. Both of those have a magazine box length of about 3.0 inches.

7mm-08. (Excellent cartridge.)

My picks. Good luck.

If you do not reload I would go 308 over 257R. I use a 7-08 with a MR barrel in a light B&C stock. Nice and light and a great shooter. I would also consider 6.5 creed.

I would consider projectile availability for accuracy. Although, at your stated ranges it may not be as critical.

.257 availability is pretty limited, especially in heavier bullet weights. But if you reload, more is coming available in the future.

6.5 mm right now has a ton of bullet options. Either creedmore or PRC should have factory loaded options available if you plan ahead.

7mm has a ton of new and old style options. In short action you could look at 7-08, 7 SAUM, or 7 SST.

If you go to .30 cal the bullet selection is pretty good. 300 wsm has plenty of pop. .308 is just a bigger slower 7-08.

For what it’s worth, I just started a build on a 25 Sherman short tactical. Which will utilize either Hammer, Berger or ACE bullets.

Accuracy wise, how do the
260 vs 7-08 playout ?
Ive never shot either, so im probably talking out my ass, but i think any of the normal cartridges in the class your considering can be plenty accurate inside 300 yards if you practice due diligence in matching your load with your gun and get dialed in. If a 7mm-08 or .308 or 6.5manbun etc etc wasnt 300 yard worthy, that caliber would go extinct due to all the similar choices that are. Really, just buy a .223, i hear theyre elk killers out to 700 yards.

My mom put a Remington 722 / 257 Roberts to good use in Oregon and Alaska. A couple of elk, couple of caribou and a ton of deer. She was a fan of the partitions. In any event the 722 was considered a light rifle in its day tipping the scales at 8 pounds. There is one on gunbroker right now for a little over $500.00. In my opinion it is an extremely under rated cartridge when compared to the .308 Winchester spawn. What it lacks is more than made up for because the damn thing is just plain classy. Plenty of Ammo on gunbroker as well.
good luck on your quest.

don't forget about the .25-06! very underrated cartridge...

of course, it's a long action, but just because a rifle is chambered in a short action offering doesn't mean it's lightweight. all tikka t3xs are long action but weigh 6.5 pounds.

it's a tough time to buy a new rifle if you don't have the ammo for it.

I'd probably go 25-06 also. Got one and it has been great on deer. Might even at this point use a 243. You do your part and the 243 will do it's part. Of course that's max size deer for me with the 243. If you reload, great bullet's for coyote's also.

If you don't reload, I'd strongly consider a 243 or 6.5 Creedmoor. Both of those calibers have lots of factory ammo choices, several manufacturers with good lightweight rifles to choose from. For deer, antelope, coyotes, etc. either of these would be good choices in my opinion.

I have been drooling over a Bergara Ridge in 7mm-08 for some of the same reasons OldMan50 is considering. I really don't need another rifle...but...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back