CA black bear

Just got back from trying to fill this bear tag. Went up to about 5000-5500 ft. About 3-6" of snow on the ground, (snowfall from wed night/thursday morning). Found 4 different bear tracks, all leading in different directions along my 2mile trek through snow. Some scat on top of snow that was not so fresh. Never did see one. But was encouraging that they were up there still and on their feet in that elevation with snow on ground.. right place, wrong time.

Attachments

• 20201220_075116.jpg
    20201220_075116.jpg
    557.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 20201220_093535.jpg
    20201220_093535.jpg
    557.4 KB · Views: 5
Yup, they are still there. I’ve been very blessed over the past seven years filling my bear tags, and I’ve learned that there’s really one trick to bear hunting (or any hunting, for that matter). The trick is spending time in the woods. On average, it takes me nine days to harvest a bear. You might not need that many, but your chances are proportional to time spent in the woods. And try to hunt sunrise and sunset hours.
Keep trying!

Looks like ill be able to take one more crack at it on last day of season, Sunday. Gonna try and get right where the snow cuts off and food might be easier to find. Hope this goes well! Merry xmas everyone!

I’ve seen a lot of fresh tracks and acorn scat at around 3500-4000 feet. They are definitely active, but they still like to come out at night. Hunt early and late.

Back