Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Budget Rifles

I like the Howa better than any of the choices mentioned I just picked one up from Whittakers for $329 and am really pleased with how it handles and shoots. I prefer the trap door magazine because I can't lose it like I can a removable clip, the action is solid and it points well for me.

The TC Venture is also nice and quite a bit lighter than the Howa without the poor balance and pointing traits that I didn't like in the Ruger that I had for a while. Savage makes some accurate plain Jane guns, not bad at all.

There is absolutely no better rifle in that price range than Howa. I've shot and owned my share of rifles, wasted my share of money, and I can tell you this is a fact.

Go to Sportsman's Guide and you'll find Howa's game package (rifle and scope) in 7mm-08 for $436. I hunt elk, barbary sheep, and mule deer with that exact rifle. It is accurate, tough and reliable. The only improvements I've made are better glass, a bipod, and handloads.

Howa/Weatherby do it right.

Cheers.
Rich

I've shot a lot of Howa rifles. Mostly before Howa was cool. I think the first was an old S&W 1500 then the Vangaurds and eventually rifles marked Howa. They are all the same basic rifle and all functioned well. They were on par with Remington 700s. Savage started the trigger safeties on rifles and everyone else copied it because it was a better budget trigger. They take time to get used to but once you do they are pretty nice. Of the ones mentioned by the op I would go with the ruger American. There are some bad reviews out there as far as accuracy but very few by anyone that has a history of shooting accurately. If I went with the Savage I would put a couple bills with it and get the model 11 package with Nikon scope. Where the ruger shines for me is it's weight in that price point. You would have to spend more to get a rifle that light with a reputation for shooting well. The Howa alpine mountain rifle beats ruger all the way around with exception to price.

I bought a patriot last year for a light compact mountain rifle that I wouldn't be afraid to beat up. It has really surprised me for a $300 dollar gun. The lighting bolt trigger is def not my favorite but for a cheap beater no real complaints from me. It shoots really good.

I got my first Savage 12 with an accutrigger a few months ago and I've got to tell you that I'm pretty impressed by it. I would prefer if it looked more like a traditional trigger but I understand the safety aspect. I guess the knock on it for me in regards to the middle blade/safety thing is that when my finger touches the trigger I want it to be touching the trigger and not some other thing that I have to push before I get to the trigger. In fact the accutrigger is what sold me in many aspects because I was originally going to get a Rem 700 but then I realized that I could get the Savage 12 for $30 less and I wouldn't need to replace the trigger(the 700 didn't have an adjustable).

I know in this day and age everyone wants the best for the least but when you factor in the cost of everything else you might want to buy a better rifle even if it's double what you are wanting to spend. Like my grandpa use to say don't buy a $1000 saddle to put on a $50 horse.

I bought my wife a Savage Axis and my daughter the Ruger American. They both shoot just under 3/4" at 100 but the Savage is closer to 1/2inch. It's a shooter. They both feel super cheap but who gives a rip if they shoot good. I like the bolt feel way better on the Savage it's fairly smooth. The ruger is kinda rough. If you get either one just start shooting any of the Hornady Stuff and find which one it likes. They both shoot that ammo well. BTW they are both chambered 7mm-08 :)

I have a few "budget" rifles and all of them, with the exception of my 700adl varmint, easily shoot around an moa with at least a few kinds of factory ammo. But all of my savages shoot 1/2moa or better with handloads. The best I can get the 700 to shoot is a hair over moa (I haven't tinkered with it too much yet, but overall it's been a disappointment)

What I'm saying, and others have said in one way or another, is that manufacturing has come a long way and most cheap rifles today are solid pieces of equipment. Typically the least consistent part of the equation is the shooter. There will always be a few lemon rifles that don't shoot, but you should feel pretty confident buying any of the rifles recommended in this thread. And if it doesn't shoot well you can usually pursue a warranty fix.

Another advantage to the savage, Howa, Ruger, Remington, and tikka budget guns is the aftermarket support. For almost every perceived or real issue with these rifles, there's a fix for it.

There aren't as many around as there used to be, but picking up an older rifle, like a savage 110, can be a good buy. They're good shooters and parts/modifications are easy.

Stevens-Model-200.jpgWhat's the same as a Savage only cheaper? Stevens! Get a Stevens 200 for $200 or less, upgrade the trigger, shoot MOA or better for $300, 6.5#. Then let the aftermarket upgrades commence!

The stevens 200 is basically the same rifle. You'd be hard pressed to find one at that price anymore, next to impossible.

I don't own any "budget" rifle, doesn't make sense to me to spend little money up front and then spend a lot to make it shoot like a high quality piece. Save a bit longer and get the best rifle you can afford. If your willing to spend $300 to $400 now, in a few months you might wanna spend $600-$800. Just my $.02. But from what I've seen the Ruger American is very decent for the money!

I don't own any "budget" rifle, doesn't make sense to me to spend little money up front and then spend a lot to make it shoot like a high quality piece. Save a bit longer and get the best rifle you can afford. If your willing to spend $300 to $400 now, in a few months you might wanna spend $600-$800. Just my $.02. But from what I've seen the Ruger American is very decent for the money!

Some guys find value in a few projects here and there. Keeps us out of the t*tty bars...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back