Caribou Gear

Browning x bolt

Lrhxr9

Has anyone had issues with mounting the front base on the x bolt rifles? I was mounting a scope for a buddy and noticed the barrel extended into the front base mounting hole. The leupy bases had screws that would bottom out on the barrel before actually tightening the base down. Exchanged for new bases and the new screws were slightly shorter. It also only seemed to have maybe only 2 threads that caught anything on the front base. Just seems like there should be more??

I've used the Talley one piece base and ring on a few x bolts. Never had any issues

Yup what these guys said. It's normal for the threads of the barrel to be under the front mounting holes and 2 or 3 threads is all it takes

Has anyone had issues with mounting the front base on the x bolt rifles? I was mounting a scope for a buddy and noticed the barrel extended into the front base mounting hole. The leupy bases had screws that would bottom out on the barrel before actually tightening the base down. Exchanged for new bases and the new screws were slightly shorter. It also only seemed to have maybe only 2 threads that caught anything on the front base. Just seems like there should be more??
Yes that’s the way they are BUT I had issues with mine as well. I used Talley rings with good success but sent my rifle back to Browning and somehow they buggered the threads by using too long of screws. DO NOT USE LONG SCREWS. The Talley rings seem to work very well. I eventually sent my rifle back and browning fixed the threads and mounted my bases. I was really annoyed with what happened, but I can’t say enough good things about their customer service. I am wildly impressed. Much better than my experience with marlin. Good luck, you will love that rifle.

It was actually a discontinued model in 204. Only caliber my buddy would look at. Yeah it started to try and torque tight but the base was still loose. Didnt like that right off the bat. Exchanged the bases and problem solved. I did notice the leupy bases had the screws separated for the front and back bases. Thats good to know they are all like that. Ive always been a browning shotgun guy and like the look of the xbolts.

Yes that’s the way they are BUT I had issues with mine as well. I used Talley rings with good success but sent my rifle back to Browning and somehow they buggered the threads by using too long of screws. DO NOT USE LONG SCREWS. The Talley rings seem to work very well. I eventually sent my rifle back and browning fixed the threads and mounted my bases. I was really annoyed with what happened, but I can’t say enough good things about their customer service. I am wildly impressed. Much better than my experience with marlin. Good luck, you will love that rifle.
I had a browning tbolt in 17 hmr. Used remington ammo. The gun lasted 5 rounds and grenaded in my face. Took 11 months to get a replacement. Browning customer service wasnt terrible. I have had better. Leupold for instance. But i have heard people having terrible luck with them. Mine basically came down to browning and remington arguing over who was going to pay for a new rifle. I guess in hindsight maybe remington should have argued alittle harder. 😳😳

I’ve recently purchased a X Bolt Hell’s Canyon Speed Long Range. I’m going to go with Talley one piece mounts as I’ve had great success with them. Anyway, I was looking at Leupold one piece mounts on Midway’s website and several reviews stated that they had the same issues you did. This only made me more confident in my decision to go with Talley.

Just trim to fit. Count how many revolutions for it to bottom out, then trim the screw with a belt sander so that it torques the base at a depth one half-turn less than it would take to bottom out. If you get 3+ threads (revolutions) you should be good, but obviously more is better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back