Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Browning BAR

mtelkhntr78

Fellas,
My dad is looking to buy a Browning BAR in 30-06. I am trying to help him shop for a rifle but I have to admit I dont know that much about the gun. I am a Model 70 man so Browning isn't really my taste:D. I tried to convince him on the Winchester but he is dead set on a Browning BAR.
I want him to get a good gun so I am reaching out for some advice. What are some things I should look for in a BAR? I believe some were made in Japan and some in Belgium? Is a newer model better than an older model? How is accuracy?

Any thoughts or advice would be great
Thanks!

My dad has an older model BAR, 15-20 years old, in 300 win mag. I am not sure where it was made. He loves it! It is a really pretty gun, great wood, great fit and finish. As long as you keep it clean, it does not jam. His is really accurate, less than 1" groups at 100 yards. It is too pretty of a gun for me to hunt with. I don't have any experience with any other BARs, so I don't know if they are all as good as his. But I do think if that is what he wants, he probably won't be happy with anything else, at least my dad wouldn't be.

I could be wrong, but I believe the BAR is "made" in Belgium and assembled in Portugal. I'm not sure that any were made in Japan though its possible. The new guns appear to be as well made as the old. As for accuracy, they typically are not as accurate as as a bolt action of equal quality. I've seen a few that will shoot honest inch groups at 100 yards but most that I've dealt with are more in the 1.5 inch range with ammo the gun likes. As NChunter said, you've got to keep it clean. I'm not sure I'd use one in a sandy or wet enviroment.

I know several guys who love their bars. I would recommend hearing protection if he gets a BOSS.

High quality, great fit and finish, a little on the heavy side. Actually its a very accurate platform, part of the reason FN started baseing, I guess I wouldn't go as far to say as a entry level precision rifle but pretty close to it, in the FNAR. I've never seen one malfunction I have seen a 7mm Remington mag and 338 Win mag, both chuck a chunk of walnut out of the forends due to recoil. These were both there higher grade models too, IV 's if I remember correctly. So if you by used just check the forends for evidence of repair.

Last edited:
old man has one....the only rifle he's hunted with since I can remember...I have one too with the Gold trigger and Elk engraved on one side and a pronghorn on the other....never been shot though it was a gift from him...He bought it in the late 70's

Thanks for all the feedback! Does anyone know of an issues with the BAR? Anything we should look out for before buying?

Met a Hawaiian dude 4 years ago in Colorado while elk hunting who carried a BAR w/ a scalloped Lupe (VXL)...thought it an interesting looking rig. He liked it and took a cow with it as I recall. If I were in the market for a semi autoloading, the shorttrac would get a long long.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back