broth/stock recipes

MThuntr

What's your favorite stock/broth recipe? I have 4 lower elk legs (meat and everything below the knee) that need to be processed to make room for other things. Thinking of possibly doing a pho style soup base with half.

End game is to can all as pints and quarts.

The wife has been making a ton of broth lately. Usually she just puts the cut bones in a crock pot with some celery and onions and fills it with water. Brings it up to temp on high and then drops it to low and cooks for 12 hours or so. Strain it and you’re good to go. Chicken feet are a good substitute if you don’t have any bones

The wife has been making a ton of broth lately. Usually she just puts the cut bones in a crock pot with some celery and onions and fills it with water. Brings it up to temp on high and then drops it to low and cooks for 12 hours or so. Strain it and you’re good to go. Chicken feet are a good substitute if you don’t have any bones
My wife also uses both of these methods. She boils for 20 min with a couple tbsp of vinegar (this is supposed to break down the connective tissue and add to the richness) 12- 24 hours on low, then strains through cheese cloth. Makes really rich stock. We freeze in fairly large cubes and toss them all in a big ziplock. She's starting a chicken carcass as I edit my misleads from earlier post.

Last edited:
My wife also uses both of these methods. She boils for 20 min with a couple tbsp of vinegar (this is supposed to break down the connective tissue and add to the richness) 12- 24 hours on low, then strains through cheese cloth. Makes really rich stock. We freeze in fairly large cubes and toss them all in a big ziplock. She's starting a chicken carcass as I edit my misleads from earlier post.

I hadn’t heard about the vinegar. I’ll have to pass that along.

I hadn’t heard about the vinegar. I’ll have to pass that along.

I saw a recipe with a splash of vinegar, I assumed it was to add a bit of zip for flavor. I also saw red wine which I wasn't sure about either.

Looks like 1 batch of Hank Shaw with a splash of vinegar and then some pho base is going to happen. Now that winter has finally kicked in I'm craving soup

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishing-Moka
Back