Broadhead weights

Nut

Well since I started using a bow last fall all I have used are 125g field tips/broadheads. But with what I have read on forums and mags is lighter broadheads are being used. I have about a 55lb draw on my bow. I went to a shorter arrow and my speed increased. I now can shoot a 3 arrow pattern in a 3" circle at 25 yrds. I intend to use this setup this fall but I am planning on getting a new bow next year. In changing bows should I consider lowering broadhead wt for more speed?

Speed isn't always better. What are you hunting?? If you are hunting big critters like elk or bears I would go with a heavier broad head, depending on your arrows. I use 145 grain when elk hunting. I also use Game trackers carbon express 300 arrows. I like the 3 blade set up only because they fly better with my bow. Personally I like the 4 blade broadheads better. I shoot a Hoyt Raptor Super , set at 68 lbs. Not real sure of speeds on my bow but ,it is quick.

WorthlessNut, like tanglefoot said speed isnt always better! the broadhead weight should also depend on the arrow size ????? and arrow size depends on draw weight and draw length ????? with more info we could be a better help!!! the larger the animal the heavier the arrow is a general rule! weight = energy ; energy = penetration ; penetratio = a large gut pile:D .General rule for arrow weight is about 7 grains fo arrow weight for each pound of draw weight ;70lb bow = 490gr arrow! most manufacturers will have a minmum arrow weight before the warranty gets voided! The draw length depends on your size and the draw weight depends on strength!!!

to much draw weight is kinda like getting a rifle that kicks so much that it intimidates your shooting! too much draw weight can have a negetively effect your shooting and can promote bad habits!! shoot what comfortable, most would think 55lbs is on the light end ,but with a well placed arrow 35lbs will do the job!!! accuracy always wins over size!!!:D:D hope this helps!!!

givin more info. on your set-up will help us determine wether your set-up will be adequate for your intended use!!
JUST MY .02 GOOD LUCK!!!

Thanks guys I will post all info necessary Monday. Shows ya how little I know about this archery stuff. Going to be taking my bow this weekend camping. Meeting up with some other folks. Will have them explain to me what everything is I hope. It is hard to do this by myself. :(

Okay here it is. My draw length is almost 29" I believe. I use Easton XX75-2213 29" arrows. The draw weight is 55lbs for sure. That I remember from when I got my bow set up last fall. I use a mechanical release. I will use this bow for whitetails and maybe a turkey( if 1 gets close enough).

If you can help I am grateful again.

We also need to know what kind of cams you have on your bow.
I myself like to stay on the heavy side with my arrows.I use 29" arrows and 125 gr. fixed blade broadheads.

Worthlessnut,

Your setup sounds similar to mine. 29" 2213 arrows but I shoot a 60# bow. I use 100 gr broadheads because I get better arrow flight with them than with 125 gr heads. I've killed antelope and whitetails with this setup and it works fine.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 15 July 2001 14:43: Message edited by: AzKiote ]</font>

Unless you are using some long (5") heavy fletches the 125 grain will be a little heavy for the arrow you are using. The 100 grain will be faster and much easier to tune. The 125 grain will make the arrow a little too front heavy and that will throw off your F.O.C. (front of center measurement that is used to keep the front 10-14% heavier than the rear of the arrow.
Steve

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back