Bringing your dog turkey hunting

bushman13

Goofy question, but its something I have been wondering about. Can I bring my dog turkey hunting in CO? Not to actually hunt with obviously, but as my normal hiking buddy.

I had a "turkey dog" for 14 years, We did nothing but hunt fall turkey with him... No sure about CO, however in the spring in states Like NY that allowed the use of dogs to hunt turkeys, it it was fall only and they couldn't be present in the spring

You can take them on national forest and/or BLM land. IF you are on established trails, they have to be on a leash. However, backcountry areas do not have a leash requirement according to the forest service employee we asked last year.

I see no mention of dogs at all in the turkey brochure.

I have brought my dog several times. I do not use him to hunt turkeys, just as a companion.

This one is from Eastern CO last fall. Hank just chilled in the blind with us.

uc

Nice bird. I saw that as well in the brochure, it's almost like the subject hasn't been addressed or doesn't need to be.

Last year I was hiking NF, in the spring, and had two separate gobblers come from opposing ridge-lines gobbling at my dog. Both came in at the same time, the best I can figure is they thought my dog shuffling around was a hen. I was just scouting and didn't have a call or my gun, so I hen clucked with my mouth and they were both very hesitant to leave, even with my dog bouncing around. Cool experience.

I see no mention of dogs at all in the turkey brochure.

I have brought my dog several times. I do not use him to hunt turkeys, just as a companion.

This one is from Eastern CO last fall. Hank just chilled in the blind with us.

uc

You can take them on national forest and/or BLM land. IF you are on established trails, they have to be on a leash. However, backcountry areas do not have a leash requirement according to the forest service employee we asked last year.

They only have to be on lease if there is a leash order in effect, the only areas I know that have one are Ptarmigan Wilderness and Eagles Nest, these laws don’t apply if you are hunting.

That being said there are tons of people at a lot of the trail heads in CO so I like to keep my pup leashed till we get a ways back.

As far as legality, I believe you can use dogs to hunt turkeys in CO, unlike some states CO doesn’t have a ton of regs for pursuing turkeys. For instance I think you can shoot them in the roost...

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back