Bringing harvested Elk meat from Canada to USA

mxracer317

Trying to plan a year-end Elk hunt in Alberta. Not going through an outfitter, as my friend is an Alberta resident, so I have a hunter host.

I'm reading there is a limit to 50lbs that one can bring back over the border, into the USA? CLICK FOR RULES "Fresh Meat, Chilled, Frozen"

I'll be driving with an elk harvested (fingers crossed!), but am I missing something here on the amount you can bring back?

I brought a whole boned out moose from Alaska through Canada and into Montana a couple years ago and at that point I don't think there was any limit on quantity of wild meat. I would be very surprised to hear if that has changed. We had to bring the paperwork inside along with the paperwork for the rifle, but they never looked at the meat itself.

Last edited:
I brought a whole boned out moose from Alaska through Canada and into Montana a couple years ago and at that point I don't think there was any limit on quantity of wild meat. I would be very surprised to hear if that has changed. We had to ring the paperwork inside along with the paperwork for the rifle, but they never looked at the meat itself.
What paperwork was needed, other than firearm paperwork?

I haven't brought elk back but when a group of 11 of us brought 8 black bears across all we needed was the USFWS form filled out. No questions about weight of meat nor did they do so much as open a cooler

I haven't brought elk back but when a group of 11 of us brought 8 black bears across all we needed was the USFWS form filled out. No questions about weight of meat nor did they do so much as open a cooler
Was that the same form as @theat was talking about?

Make sure you have all the paperwork and that it is filled out correctly. There was a wild game check station setup on the Canadian side of the border at Beaver Ck along the Alcan when we went through. We didn't have any problems, but they had confiscated a few bears including a griz, several caribou, a moose and a few wolves from other US hunters that didn't have all their ducks in a row.

3-177 USFWS will be completed @ the CBP location for AK (prior to leaving US) or Canada --> lower 48.

If harvested in Canada, need your provincial hunt cert and game tag(s) - be sure to collect it from the processor/outfitter.
Only reason @theat needed to have just the import / export form is due to from US routing to lower 48.

CBP form 4457 for the firearm(s), scope(s), etc. Have that completed prior to leaving US @ CBP. (This can stay with your firearm/scope for the duration you own it for future trips.

Officers have discretion for inspection of meat, cape, antlers, skull and marked accordingly on the form for full, partial, or none on the 3-177

The meat must be reasonably on par with the game declared. Excess is an instant red flag. Seizure, penalty, etc.

View your 3-177

On the bear line(s) - multiple bear lines if declared skull, cape, meat), there should be a "MEA" then a section where approx qty /weight units is/are noted.

Also to clarify my initial post:

From Canada to US, declare the items returning and the 3-177 will be completed inside the lobby along w/ copies made of the prov cert and tag(s).

The CBP form 4457 acts more-so as a validation the firearm / other items originated in US and was not brought from Canada/other foreign country.

That can be completed online form and brought into the CBP location (form only - leave the firearm in your vehicle, of course) or complete the 4457 @ the port. Either way, it must be stamped w/ the CBP Officer badge #, etc. prior to leaving the US.

Last edited:
View your 3-177

On the bear line(s) - multiple bear lines if declared skull, cape, meat), there should be a "MEA" then a section

While I'm sure you're 100% correct, I'm nearly positive that they didn't ask about meat and it was not noted on the form. Not sure if it slipped through the cracks trying to push 8 people through quickly or they just didn't think to ask about it. I wish I still had the form but it's been long discarded.

I'm reading there is a limit to 50lbs that one can bring back over the border, into the USA? CLICK FOR RULES "Fresh Meat, Chilled, Frozen"

I'll be driving with an elk harvested (fingers crossed!), but am I missing something here on the amount you can bring back?
That link is referring to meat as an agricultural product, not wild game. Anything game related will be declared on the USFWS form.

Have your licenses and firearm paperwork ready when you get to the border. Since your possession of the animal would originate in Canada, you would fill out the USFWS form at the border when you get there. At least that’s how we always do it. Tell them you were hunting and have game to declare, and they’ll have you come inside. Depending on where you cross, the bored Customs guys sometimes just fill out the form for you. It’s usually pretty simple. As long as you are following cervid importation rules for CWD, you should be good.

I can find links to the 3-177 form on other sites, but it has been removed from USFWS websites. USFWS lost a case in March to HSUS and is now required to release all hunting importation data to the public. I’m betting they are redoing the form, so you may just have to wait to see what the new one will look like.

Anyone have any experience transporting meat the other way? I'm moving to AK soon, but have several lower 48 hunts planned. What rules does Canada have about transporting meat from the U.S.? I'm assuming no brain or spinal tissue for CWD concerns. That's pretty standard everywhere now. I think I've got a decent handle on the firearm transportation and USFWS documents for entering AK from Canada, but I couldn't find anything about traveling through Canada with U.S. killed meat.

Back