Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Box full of foxes

ol_spark

While a lot of people were watching Monday Night Football, Wheelchair Willie and I decided to break the nights silence with a few squealing rabbit calls. After we got the ole fox pro tuned in and sounding just perfect, we waited patiently for the glowing eyes to appear. It wasn’t long before they come bouncing across the field to see what was making that sweet tasting noise. As soon as he stopped, Bill triggered the 17wsm and lights out. I asked should I go get him. No let’s wait awhile and we did but nothing else showed up. After 10 minutes, I jumped out of the truck and picked up our first grey of the year. A couple miles down the road was a meadow near a corn field that we often see reds in but not tonight. Two raccoons came racing in and Bill put the hammer on both of them. I started laughing at the second one cause he was going around in circles like a cat chasing his tail but soon expired. I thought Bill just grazed him but it was a solid head shot. Must have had a tough skull is what I said. After a couple more stops where I was supposedly the designated shooter nothing showed up. Then at our last stop Bill gets another grey fox. Four for four not bad for us. Better than football and doing a little predator management as well. Our fur market has not been very good for awhile but it gets us out of the house.

Attachments

• 7D7D4EDB-9563-4B47-A9DB-B341A05CEB52.jpeg
    7D7D4EDB-9563-4B47-A9DB-B341A05CEB52.jpeg
    137.5 KB · Views: 56
They are a sucker for a distress call for sure. That’s a good evening. Foxes are bread and butter animal to hunt here.
The US foxes understand Australian - I took one of my mouth predator calls on my big Montana adventure. Saw a fox in a field early one morning. Just for giggles I pulled the call out the. The guide said “don’t think that will work here”, I gave it a blast and the thing near tuned inside out and sprinted across the field towards us - wish I’d had a camera.

When I was a young fellow just starting to trap for bounty money and not fur, the old guys that mentored me had me convinced they were the smartest animal around. They knew all of their surroundings and any strange odors. I was overly cautious if there is such a thing as a young trapper. As times went on and fur prices increased to the point that ever Tom,Dick and Harry wanted a piece of the pie and it became a circus. You not only had to fool the animal with your sets, you had to hide them from wandering eyes or your traps would come up missing, with or without a critter in it. That rubbed me the wrong way and I quit for awhile. Now all of my trapping is done with Bill. He doesn’t have problems catching them and he’s not as cautious as I once was. 63F7F069-C574-4E89-B31F-096A618686F7.jpeg

Those are some nice looking greys! I love night hunting for predators, never gets old seeing eyes pop up out of nowhere.

Wish I had time to do more predator hunting. Grandpa at 78 still calls and kills 80+ coyotes every year. I’m kinda partial to trapping. But there both lots of fun!
Matt

Yeah thinking about OzzyDaves post on his Aussie call in Montana. I can’t remember the number of times I’ve called them in with a piece of grass while spring turkey hunting. That trick has worked in a variety of states. I’m glad they’re gullible, it makes for a better time. Lol

Wish you guys were closer, could use some of those for Drahthaar puppy training in the spring.

Nice shooting, dad and I went out calling raccoons last night but no luck. Was really cold and windy, I really like calling at night so I can hunt after work

You’re correct Mallardsx2, they’re like all the other species that we love to pursue, a lot depends on the amount of pressure they get or how many times they’ve been called and scared by gunfire, smell or whatever. Some nights you’d swear they were extinct and then the next night you hit the motherload.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back