PEAX Equipment

Bowtech Carbon Icon?

dcopas78

Ok, so here's the rub. I'm in need of updating my bow. I've hunted with a Bear compound for several years, probably 12 or so. I really haven't used it much in the last 4 years, actually. I haven't had much time to bow hunt and when I do, I usually just grab the crossbow. Anyways, it looks like I'm going to get my chance too hunt more with a bow this year, and I'd like to start hunting more with a bow out west. My friend runs a bow shop and sells PSE, Matthew's, and Bowtech. I've been ogling the Carbon Icon and really love how light it is, as well as the draw and release seems really smooth for me. Does anyone shoot these, and if so, what are your impressions? Also looking at sights. I like the single pin sliders, but always had multipin sights before. Single pin or multi? Seems like multi may be the way to go out west where game can be here at 20 yards and out at 50 in the next second. I'd like some recommendations for sights as well. Anyways, any advice appreciated!

I shot a Carbon Icon for a couple of years. I liked it. The grip wasn't my favorite, but it was okay. You should be able to get a good deal on it. Used ones go in that $300-400 range and I don't think there is anything different with newer ones (are there newer ones?).

I think the three pin slider is sort of the sweet spot for sights. I really like Montana Black Good.

I've had my icon for 3 years. I really like it, the lightweight is nice and I run a heavy stabilizer. The bow settles at full draw nicely. I've dropped it out of a treestand and besides a broken stabilizer mount it had no problems

I shot one. I initially liked the light weight but once I shot it I realized I had to put quite a bit of weight on to settle my pin which kind of defeated the purpose for me. The grip felt blocky but it didn't bother me too much. I have a 30.5" draw and shoot 70lbs and I could noticably see the riser twist on the draw. (Which made me feel not so safe haha but it's not the best for accuracy.) Althiugh I could shoot it well at longer ranges the riser twist can affect accuracy. It's not a true 100% carbon riser. I believe it's carbon skimmed polymer. It also was a louder bow than others I've owned(although still pretty quite overall). If I had to do it again I probably wouldn't buy it.

As for a sight I believe a 3-4 pin sliders are the most versatile sight for Western hunting. With 3 pins you can shoot 20-30-40 or 25-40-50 and anything outside your far pin dial it. But Tommy Hogg has their double pin which if I were to go with a single pin style sight I'd run that. It gives you the least clutter but you also will know have a farther pin at all times just in case. The yardage Indicator has 2 reference points for both pins so even if you dialed your pin to a distance and the animal moved farther you have a indication on where your bottom pin is at for yardage. Just my 2 pennies.

I have shot one for a few years. I like it. It's a dream to carry. Great mountain hunting bow in my opinion.

The grip felt blocky but it didn't bother me too much. I have a 30.5" draw and shoot 70lbs and I could noticably see the riser twist on the draw. (Which made me feel not so safe haha but it's not the best for accuracy.) Althiugh I could shoot it well at longer ranges the riser twist can affect accuracy. It's not a true 100% carbon riser. I believe it's carbon skimmed polymer. It also was a louder bow than others I've owned(although still pretty quite overall). If I had to do it again I probably wouldn't buy it.

Yeah, that makes me nervous too - though I could see where people like the weight for carrying. It kinda stinks carrying around extra weight but when it comes to the time of the shot - I'm glad that my bow is a tad heavier bow... With "Carbon" in the name, I think it gives people the false impression that it's carbon riser like Hoyt or PSE but I believe it's really a plastic\poly molded riser with carbon injected into it.....

I shot the Icon thought it was a little different feeling on the shot, couldn't put my finger on it. I know they still make the Prodigy and BTX bows. I ended up picking up a new BTX-31

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back