Black River Falls WI, anybody hunt it?

dannyb278

From Minnesota. Thinking about putting together a hunt in western Wisconsin at Black River Falls State Forest. Could go bow or rifle season. Anybody hunt this area? Not looking for a trophy just to fill some tags on public ground for the first time.

Last edited:
Things are not still that great after the winter kill from a couple years ago but there are deer around. The downfall of the public land in that area is going to be the pumpkin patch that appears opening weekend of the rifle season. Best advice is go bow during late October and early November to avoid the crowds. We are due for a good white oak mast crop and if it happens know what white oaks look like and set up there, better than any bait pile in the world. Look for small parcels that are mixed with private and you will do fine. Just curious why someone from MN would pick WI to hunt? Do you hunt in MN and looking to double down?

I haven't hunted that area but when I am up there I see way more deer than in the south east part where I hunt due to the CWD eradication from the DNR. I would guess like schmaltz said bow hunting will be fine but come rifle season on public ground it get crowded and over hunted. The opener might be ok but after that it will be tough.

I would go bow hunting. It is pretty terrible during the gun season on the public ground around there.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back