Black Hills Gobblers

Bearclaw64

Hey guys-

Heading to the Black Hill of SD during the last couple weeks of season. It has been hard to get a hold of biologists/GFP officers with office shut downs and furloughs. I'm not asking for any hot spots or super specific info- but any info on turkeys numbers, general regions, and turkey behavior at this time of season would be greatly appreciated. I have hunted turkeys since I was a teen in MO, but I know Black Hills Merriam's are a different game. From what I've found, travelling roads and shocking a gobble is a good strategy- curious if that still works later in season or if birds are changing behavior. Thanks for any info.

Welcome aboard and good luck!

Be prepared to drive a little bit to find them but the way I see it, that's a bonus since the country is so beautiful. I would think being late season you should have better luck finding solo toms, so hopefully they are receptive to decoys and calling. But don't be afraid to spot and stalk a tom if you see one.... I bushwacked my Black Hills bird this year.

and welcome to HT

South Dakota game and fish has an app that has public land maps and some other resources. If it were me, I’d stay in hill city. It would be a good hub, to head north up towards lead/deadwood, (to get a burger from Lewies) west towards Deerfield (breakfast at mountain meadows resort), south towards Custer, (Burger at black hills burger) or east towards rapid (eat at the gas lite in Rockerville). Plenty of public around those parts to find a bird I would think. I always saw turkeys when I would go looking for sheds. If you head in to the higher hills, west of hill city a lot of the roads are snowmobile trails in the winter and usually in a draw so the snow turns to an iceberg in the center of the road. Cell service is spotty, so be mindful if you try to blast through some snow. Sturgis is dead 49 weeks of the year and you can get a tshirt at any gas station.

(edit) full disclosure I’m not a turkey guy, I just saw them a lot stomping around in the spring looking for sheds.

Back