MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Big Sandy Wildlife Area in San Miguel, CA.

Para1911A1

Anyone here ever hunt Quail on Big Sandy? I am new to hunting, thought Quail would be a good place to start. Would love any advice on where to start. What gear to get. I currently have a Winchester 1300 pump in 12 ga. & 100 rounds of 1 oz. #7 steel. I have reloaded most popular calibers for 20+ years. Not new to shooting, just hunting.

I've never hunted there, but based on the pictures, it's definitely could have quail. Water and cover are key for them to survive. Also bird hunting is a great way to jump start your hunting career! Everyone always has a different opinion so I don't want to be that guy, but if you can find #6 shot that would be even better. You can kill a lot of quail with #7, don't get me wrong, but since it's all steel now, a little larger shot helps if you can find it.

I've never hunted there, but based on the pictures, it's definitely could have quail. Water and cover are key for them to survive. Also bird hunting is a great way to jump start your hunting career! Everyone always has a different opinion so I don't want to be that guy, but if you can find #6 shot that would be even better. You can kill a lot of quail with #7, don't get me wrong, but since it's all steel now, a little larger shot helps if you can find it.
GREAT INFO!!! Thanks!!!

Welcome to HT from San Luis Obispo! I would echo @Slightball in recommending 6 shot steel for dove and quail here in CA to make up for the lack of thud in comparison to lead shot. I've never hunted in that particular area. Since you're new to hunting and assuming you don't have a bird dog here are some pointers that I learned early on when learning how to hunt upland game... I don't have a dog so it's important to be cautious of what you are shooting quail over (thick brush, canyon, etc.) bc there are times when you're presented with a perfect shot similar to the range but there is no use in taking a shot at a bird flying over a poison oak choked hell hole if you aren't going to be able to retrieve it. Water and cover are very important and if you can find a buddy so at times you can flush them to each other. Bird hunting is a great way to get started and wish you best of luck.

Hunted it a bunch.15 yrs ago. Used to hold tons of quail,rabbits,doves,Bandtails. Occational turkey or two.

Hunted it a bunch.15 yrs ago. Used to hold tons of quail,rabbits,doves,Bandtails. Occational turkey or two.
I just noticed there are two areas call Big Sandy. #1 the parking lot is off Indian Valley Road outside San Miguel. #2 is to the North just outside Bradley. Which one did you hunt??

Hunted it 15-20 years ago a few times, had success, I'm sure there are birds still...
I just noticed there are two areas call Big Sandy. #1 the parking lot is off Indian Valley Road outside San Miguel. #2 is to the North just outside Bradley. Which one did you hunt??

Indian Valley. I think the Bradley area could be an extension from Camp Roberts along river.
Used to hunt Camp Roberts & Fort Hunter-Ligget too. In season....floating too. An occational smallie,stripper,white bass or a steelhead ,..er rainbow was caught. lol Strippers ran the Salinas & coast in those days too
The Salinas River used be full of pigs & deer. Turkeys. Oh the good ol days! Pig hunts after work. BBQ on the weekend.

Sorry,got side tracked with larger game...lol
Salinas River was a great place to grow up along in those days. Paso was 4k people maybe. Used to hunt from Atascadero to Santa Margarita too.
I do remember lots of quail & bunnies. Even when I worked for County Parks.
My bro was in Central Coast Hunter Retriever club & I would go with them on field trials @ Indian Valley.I was designated shooter on released birds.
Now I remember ,there was an occational Pheasant left over or two. G&F used to do youth hunts for birds & there was always Pheasants left from those.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back