Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Best Summer sausage mix!!

Livnthegoodlife

I used the Scheel boxed summer sausage mix for my first batch and it was ok but nothing great. So I went searching for something better and decided to try my luck on ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/Papa-Grecos-spi...ryZ14314QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

His summer sausage spice mix is the best I have tasted. Even better than the store bought beef summer sausage. I mixed it with 100% muley buck and baked it in the oven at 190 until the inside got to be 155-160. I figured I would try something different and go with 100% instead of mixing in some pork and I am very glad I did not. There was very little shrinkage, the meat was moist and no gamey taste. It even seems to have a slight smokey taste and I did not smoke it or add any liquid smoke.

I also bought the Italian and Bratwurst spice mixes. Have not tried them yet though.

I tried Summer sausage once it it wasnt that good. I wil have to try again someday. I had recently looked in my box of spices doen in the basement and found the fricking mice chewed up my summer and Hot stick casings!:mad: Damn mice really pissing me off. Good thing my spices are vaccume sealed as they would have been tossed otherwise.

Thanks for posting. I purchased some pepper stick casings from Bass Pro last week and will be giving this my first attempt. How does the Papa Greco's compare to the Hi Mountain?

I was not overly impressed with the High Mountain mix for summer sausage. I did not think there was much of a taste to it. It worked great for cheese and crackers or sandwiches but not for just eating alone.

I also made the papa greco brats and italian the other day and tried some. They were both alright but nothing great. Next year I will probably make 10lbs of each just to have some variety but will be making 30-50lbs of the summer sausage because it was so darn good.

A word of caution on the pepper sticks. Make sure you follow the directions exactly. I used a little less meat (like a 1/2lbs less) than what they said and boy was the pepper sticks strong!

Back