Best powder for .223?

Calif. Hunter

I thought I had found the best powder in W-748, but I've found that it really is too temperature sensitive. It may be 20 degrees in the morning and 75 in the afternoon now, while in the summer it may be 50 in the morning and 120 in the afternoon. I've tried IMR-4895 and IMR-3031 with decent luck, but I'm thinking about Hodgdon's Varget as it is one of their "Extreme Powders." What do you use? I shoot 50 gr, 55 gr and 60 gr bullets. (I stay away from the extremes at both ends.) Thanks!

CH, I shoot 52 grain and 55 grain bullets with the same load. I use 26.5 grains of BLC-2 in RP Brass, with CCI SRM primers. The loads are shot in different rifles, but the performance is about the same. They both run about 3185 and print around 3/8"@100 yards. The standard deviation on the 52 grain load is about 9fps and the heavier load is around 14. That covers 16 5 shot groups shot over 3 months from March to June. Temperature range about 30 degrees f.
cool.gif

------------------
Dan AZ www.huntandlodge.com

Calif. I shoot 28.0gr of ww748 or 26.5gr of H335 using 50gr Nosler Ballistic tips, Win or Norma brass with Rem 7 1/2 primers. As far as groups go, I don't see any difference between the 2 powders. I used to use 4198, and it shot well but the 748 and the 335 meters so easy and consistant that they spoiled me.
I have never experienced the heat sensitivity that you and danr discuss, but then again I haven't experienced a 20 degree morning and 120 degree afternoon in the same day hunt either. So can't help ya much there.WD
smile.gif
smile.gif

Thanks, Dan and WDswift - now it doesn't range from a 20 degree morning to a 120 degree afternoon in the same day usually! But I may still have ammo left that I loaded in December when I'm shooting in July. I love the W-748 metering consistency and I get very good groups with it. That's why I was considering the Varget...it's supposed to be short grain powder and on eof their Extreme powders. When I went to the shop and asked for Varget, they were out. The guy offered me some BLC-2 as an alternative, but I wasn't familiar with it. I've also heard good things about H-335 and H-322.

I didn't say this.... but for 223, BLC2 and H335 are almost interchangeable. I have loaded the same 26.5 grains of both in the same box and not been able to tell the difference. BLC-2 is reclaimed military powder, and I would almost bet the H 335 is the civilian equivelant. I can't say that for sure, but it sounds right.
cool.gif

------------------

I've tried several of the above listed powders and settled on H-335,it seemed to work best for me in winter yote hunting, and then in spring chuck hunting with no noticable diff. "D"

HUnt2much, Welcome to Moosie's board. A good place to be when you can't be hunting.

I agree with your choice of powders. H-335 is one of my favorites for 223. What kind of rifle do you shoot? Caliber? Scope? You know, all the normal questions?
cool.gif

------------------

I shoot prairie dogs with my friends and family using 8 different .223's. We all shoot the same load- a 55 grain bullet with 26.5 grains of 335. I have been using this load since 1973 (when you could buy 335 for $2.00 a lb) with various bullets. It shoots less than .75 in all 8 guns (on a good day). It's nice to be able to load all winter and shoot all summer.
missed

Danr55, I do alot of coyote callin, and chuck huntin, I shoot a pair of remington 788's, one in a .223 and another in 22-250,the .223 has redfield wf 3x9 for a headlight and the 250 has a tasco 6-18 world class,I catch some flak for my "relics" but believers are soon made. it was a darn good coyote year here in Idaho. From the looks of things this winter I'm about to be out shot by my 10 yr old daughter on chucks,She's doin real good,with here Lakefeild .22 bolt gun. thanks for the warm welcome,as you can all tell I'm about computer illiterate,and can't type worth a darn ,during typeing class I was generally truant (chuck huntin) the only time I can respond is during work hours, and at beak time, I don't have computer acess at home.so bear with me..
H2M

As long as it doesn't cost money, we have plenty of it. Patience, which was free last time I looked, was in abundance. I don't think we have any light speed typists around here. Most of us can't spelll either. Anyway, you're welcome for the welcome. (Department of Redundancy Department.) Come on back anytime.
cool.gif

------------------

Dan, As far as I know, Hogdgon used to import the BLC-2 from Austraila. It was made by Austrailian Defense Industries. My container that is 7 years old says Made In Austraila. The newer containers don't have that designation.

The military equivalent that I have had success with is WC846.

Check out this website, It can save you lots of money.

http://www.patsreloading.com/patsrel/prices.htm

Chainsaw---------

DGF:
Thanks for the welcome. I'm a old man who has been trying to learn how to shoot for a lot of years. I am finding myself in a position of being a pro and I really don't know what I'm doing a lot of the time. I say good rests, good triggers, and good glass. Somtimes I make a good shot. Other times I miss(hence the handle). Thanks for the offer of help (I need it).
missed

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back