Bears with a wheel gun

And who might you be referring to? We all have things we’re proud of but I see no one here boasting about anything in particular. Just Q&A is all.

Guess you missed the show last night. He's not talking about anyone that's around anymore.

Mind if I ask what type of bait you prefer? A buddy and I are hoping to hunt bear in Maine this fall, and we debated a hunt over bait (confirm it’s a male, more time fir the shot, increased odds of an encounter). Thoughts on what’s worked well? Very motivated to try DIY bear bait...even if that means serving up a few blueberry pies 😆 thank you in advance for your thoughts, and good luck this spring!
It’s all depends on site location. I have a 1.5 mile hike from parking area to bait site. I use pull carts and backpacks to haul all my stuff in and out.
I use popcorn and have a recipe of stuff I use on it to spice it up. I save bread heels and other unused pastries throughout the year in the freezer. I will buy discontinued/ day old bread when dirt cheap and hold onto that. I get all the daily unused donuts from a local shop starting a month or so in advance and freeze those. I top it all of with used fry grease and oil I get from local restaurants. Avoid burnt smelling oil if at all possible. I usually add at least 3 gal to my full 55 gal barrel.
I will use used filtered oil (to get any particles out that will clog the spay tube/ nozzle) in a 2 gal yard sprayer with some added smell good stuff and spray the oil on trees, logs, bushes along trails for a good 75-100y in all directions. I will pour a good 5 gal on the ground in front of the barrel. I do not spray it within 5y of where my blind is or where I put my cameras at. I have had bears and ungulates chew on the spots where I sprayed the oil. Be mindful not to get it on you either. I wear old clothes and gloves when handling it all.
YouTube is a great source for info on ideas to try for baiting. What works here may not work where you’re at.

Back when it was legal to bait in bears in Oregon I liked to use donuts. Had a pretty good source for pastries headed for the garbage. Problem was while packing them in I would start convincing my self they were only a little stale, couldn’t be that bad.
Good luck, never intentionally hunted bear with a pistol, simply carry hard cast 300 grain while guiding in Alaska. I’m looking forward to your successful report.
Apparently I missed something yesterday as well.....

Steve, i dont even run my baits in wyoming in spring. I run baits in idaho in spring and wyoming in fall because of way seasons are here it just aint worth it to me. My wyoming bait site i cant even get into till around week before memorial day. I wish wyoming would go with either a season or a quota, this both thing is just stupid for bears. In spring i do usually get out for few days of spot and stalk in grizz country but its not very productive usually, grizz have put a hurt on black bears here. On a ammo note years ago i used winchester white box 240JSPs on deer and they worked great for store ammo,if you find that i would be more than comfortable hunting with them. Good luck

Back when it was legal to bait in bears in Oregon I liked to use donuts. Had a pretty good source for pastries headed for the garbage. Problem was while packing them in I would start convincing my self they were only a little stale, couldn’t be that bad.
Good luck, never intentionally hunted bear with a pistol, simply carry hard cast 300 grain while guiding in Alaska. I’m looking forward to your successful report.
Apparently I missed something yesterday as well.....
I pay the local donut shop $5 for all the daily left overs. It’s either a mile or 1.5 mile hike to either one of my bait sites. 50# of donuts feels like #100 after those hikes in. I usually mix it with popcorn and other stuff to fill the barrels.
I remember back in like ‘96 when WA banned hounds and such for bear. I moved away in ‘97 and have never thought of moving back.

Steve, i dont even run my baits in wyoming in spring. I run baits in idaho in spring and wyoming in fall because of way seasons are here it just aint worth it to me. My wyoming bait site i cant even get into till around week before memorial day. I wish wyoming would go with either a season or a quota, this both thing is just stupid for bears. In spring i do usually get out for few days of spot and stalk in grizz country but its not very productive usually, grizz have put a hurt on black bears here. On a ammo note years ago i used winchester white box 240JSPs on deer and they worked great for store ammo,if you find that i would be more than comfortable hunting with them. Good luck
I just became a WY Res last year so it was my first year to hunt here much less bait. I learned a lot last year that I will apply this year. Taking a bear has been #1 bucket list and life long dream for me. Taking any big game with a pistol is #1 for my method list.
I had 2 bait sites but only used one last year. I will run 2 this year for sure. One site I was able to get into it the 2nd week of May. The season was nearly a month in at that point. I did get into a lot of bears quickly with it but just didn’t close the deal. The 2nd site was 3 miles away and the season (sow quota) was over before I could get into it. I dropped that site and will select a new one I really want next week.
I had my best luck in the spring with mainly boars showing up, even though I had a random hunter kill a sow with cub at my bait and on camera (see my story in the wildlife violation thread). The fall I had an issue with elk hunters (mainly non-Res) screwing with my bait (one even urinated on the barrel not knowing he was on camera I guess). Had an illegal bait set up in my area as well (see my story in the wildlife violation thread).

As of last Friday I was about to get within 20 miles of my area but roads blocked with 5-15’ snow drifts. Getting hit with a massive snow storm as I type this so who knows when the state will clear roads for the spring season access. I’d use a snow
Machine if I had one or knew where to rent one. April 8th will be here soon and so will the bears.

Back