Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Bears with a wheel gun

And who might you be referring to? We all have things we’re proud of but I see no one here boasting about anything in particular. Just Q&A is all.

Guess you missed the show last night. He's not talking about anyone that's around anymore.

Mind if I ask what type of bait you prefer? A buddy and I are hoping to hunt bear in Maine this fall, and we debated a hunt over bait (confirm it’s a male, more time fir the shot, increased odds of an encounter). Thoughts on what’s worked well? Very motivated to try DIY bear bait...even if that means serving up a few blueberry pies 😆 thank you in advance for your thoughts, and good luck this spring!
It’s all depends on site location. I have a 1.5 mile hike from parking area to bait site. I use pull carts and backpacks to haul all my stuff in and out.
I use popcorn and have a recipe of stuff I use on it to spice it up. I save bread heels and other unused pastries throughout the year in the freezer. I will buy discontinued/ day old bread when dirt cheap and hold onto that. I get all the daily unused donuts from a local shop starting a month or so in advance and freeze those. I top it all of with used fry grease and oil I get from local restaurants. Avoid burnt smelling oil if at all possible. I usually add at least 3 gal to my full 55 gal barrel.
I will use used filtered oil (to get any particles out that will clog the spay tube/ nozzle) in a 2 gal yard sprayer with some added smell good stuff and spray the oil on trees, logs, bushes along trails for a good 75-100y in all directions. I will pour a good 5 gal on the ground in front of the barrel. I do not spray it within 5y of where my blind is or where I put my cameras at. I have had bears and ungulates chew on the spots where I sprayed the oil. Be mindful not to get it on you either. I wear old clothes and gloves when handling it all.
YouTube is a great source for info on ideas to try for baiting. What works here may not work where you’re at.

Back when it was legal to bait in bears in Oregon I liked to use donuts. Had a pretty good source for pastries headed for the garbage. Problem was while packing them in I would start convincing my self they were only a little stale, couldn’t be that bad.
Good luck, never intentionally hunted bear with a pistol, simply carry hard cast 300 grain while guiding in Alaska. I’m looking forward to your successful report.
Apparently I missed something yesterday as well.....

Steve, i dont even run my baits in wyoming in spring. I run baits in idaho in spring and wyoming in fall because of way seasons are here it just aint worth it to me. My wyoming bait site i cant even get into till around week before memorial day. I wish wyoming would go with either a season or a quota, this both thing is just stupid for bears. In spring i do usually get out for few days of spot and stalk in grizz country but its not very productive usually, grizz have put a hurt on black bears here. On a ammo note years ago i used winchester white box 240JSPs on deer and they worked great for store ammo,if you find that i would be more than comfortable hunting with them. Good luck

Back when it was legal to bait in bears in Oregon I liked to use donuts. Had a pretty good source for pastries headed for the garbage. Problem was while packing them in I would start convincing my self they were only a little stale, couldn’t be that bad.
Good luck, never intentionally hunted bear with a pistol, simply carry hard cast 300 grain while guiding in Alaska. I’m looking forward to your successful report.
Apparently I missed something yesterday as well.....
I pay the local donut shop $5 for all the daily left overs. It’s either a mile or 1.5 mile hike to either one of my bait sites. 50# of donuts feels like #100 after those hikes in. I usually mix it with popcorn and other stuff to fill the barrels.
I remember back in like ‘96 when WA banned hounds and such for bear. I moved away in ‘97 and have never thought of moving back.

Steve, i dont even run my baits in wyoming in spring. I run baits in idaho in spring and wyoming in fall because of way seasons are here it just aint worth it to me. My wyoming bait site i cant even get into till around week before memorial day. I wish wyoming would go with either a season or a quota, this both thing is just stupid for bears. In spring i do usually get out for few days of spot and stalk in grizz country but its not very productive usually, grizz have put a hurt on black bears here. On a ammo note years ago i used winchester white box 240JSPs on deer and they worked great for store ammo,if you find that i would be more than comfortable hunting with them. Good luck
I just became a WY Res last year so it was my first year to hunt here much less bait. I learned a lot last year that I will apply this year. Taking a bear has been #1 bucket list and life long dream for me. Taking any big game with a pistol is #1 for my method list.
I had 2 bait sites but only used one last year. I will run 2 this year for sure. One site I was able to get into it the 2nd week of May. The season was nearly a month in at that point. I did get into a lot of bears quickly with it but just didn’t close the deal. The 2nd site was 3 miles away and the season (sow quota) was over before I could get into it. I dropped that site and will select a new one I really want next week.
I had my best luck in the spring with mainly boars showing up, even though I had a random hunter kill a sow with cub at my bait and on camera (see my story in the wildlife violation thread). The fall I had an issue with elk hunters (mainly non-Res) screwing with my bait (one even urinated on the barrel not knowing he was on camera I guess). Had an illegal bait set up in my area as well (see my story in the wildlife violation thread).

As of last Friday I was about to get within 20 miles of my area but roads blocked with 5-15’ snow drifts. Getting hit with a massive snow storm as I type this so who knows when the state will clear roads for the spring season access. I’d use a snow
Machine if I had one or knew where to rent one. April 8th will be here soon and so will the bears.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back