Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Bear Preference Points

shannerdrake

Hunttalkers - I'm new to bear hunting, but have hunted the West a few times and am also applying for points in a handful of states. Question, is there any reason to buy points for bear? Particularly in Colorado? I know it is only a few extra dollars when you are already applying for other species, but from what I can see, you can draw any rifle bear tag in the state with 0 points.

Not really - unless you have your heart set on the Bosque del Oso.

Outside of that - if your target tag is available as a 2nd choice, might as well grab one if you're applying anyway.

Not really - unless you have your heart set on the Bosque del Oso.

Which you will never draw anyway because essentially there are only 4 units in CO that require more than 2pts, in all of those 4 units combined only 1 NR was drawn in 2019. There are over 747 NR that have over 3 points.

Essentially the only bear units in CO that require points are trophy deer and elk units where there is a low quota to keep them from getting overcrowded with bear hunters so as to provide a good experience to those trophy elk or deer tag holders, or for a few units that have super low bear densities, so you have to draw... but the unit sucks.

It's completely insane IMHO for a NR to buy a bear point, unless they, in the next year, will have the points required to draw an elk tag or deer tag in that specific unit.

That said if you draw a 61 elk tag and you're wasting your time hunting bears you are an idiot.

Thanks everyone! My thought has always been that since bear tags are so inexpensive it makes sense to grab one if you are pulling an elk or deer tag in a given year. For me it is worth $100 to have a chance of tagging a bear if I encounter one. That all being said, if you can get one OTC or for 0pts, then it makes no sense to spend the cash every year on points.

Thanks everyone - as always, super helpful!

Listen to @wllm1313 . He’s thought this CO-bear-hunting thing through.
Yeah - I must be really bored to reply to a CO bear thread that Wilm had already answered :)

All I'm saying is if you are applying anyway - and your unit/hunt is generally 2nd choice/leftover, it doesnt cost you anything for the point.

Full disclosure: I have lived in CO for 24 years now and I have never had a bear point in my account and never plan to.

Yeah - I must be really bored to reply to a CO bear thread that Wilm had already answered :)

All I'm saying is if you are applying anyway - and your unit/hunt is generally 2nd choice/leftover, it doesnt cost you anything for the point.

Full disclosure: I have lived in CO for 24 years now and I have never had a bear point in my account and never plan to.

Appreciate the confidence gentleman... not sure if it's well founded.

I agree with @cedahm, it's a great idea for apply for a bear tag in the draw. Just not to buy a point. If you apply in the draw you can get an A tag and then buy a leftover B tag or OTC tags and then get 2 bear tags.

The way we are planning on doing it is to use the 61 bear hunt to scout for an upcoming elk hunt. I wonder what the bear hunting is like now after the fire and the increased the number of tags.

That's a great reason to get a point, and will make for, I think, a great scouting trip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back