Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

bear/deer attractant?

throwin brass

any one know of a good bear/deer attractant. im hunting in Arkansas and baiting is not allowed on public land where i will be hunting in Ouachita national forest, but deer is and since i will have two deer tags as well and u can bait deer i am thinking y not kill two birds with one stone so that if anyone asks i was hunting deer and saw a bear and decided to fill my bear tag. or will the corn feeders im deer hunting over be good enough. i don't know much bout deer or bear hunting all i know is deer are corn whores here in kansas and there is no better attractant for them here, but i read some where that in late November when i will be hunting bears in Arkansas will be attempting to fill up on acorns for hibernation, so im thinking acorn rage or acorn frenzy or something with acorns right??? any help or advice would be appreciated. o and when im not deer hunting in the evening in the morning we do a bear drive down the mountain i guess. never hunted this way before but i guess it works well in the mountains there.

Hunting in arkansas is different, but I would strongly suggest that you follow the intentn of the law and not bait for anything. Realistically if you are particapating in drives, your chances are much better than in any blind hunting you might do.
Use a weapon that will leave a good blood trail, animals being driven produce a lot of adrenalin and can run a long way before going down. Also adrenalin charged meat can be much tougher in texture so you may want to let it age more.
BTW, I inherited 90 acres near Meena, stay out of my cabin.:D

i will be hunting in that area with a outfitter soo i honestly do not know where i will be, thanks for your input for i am totally new to bear hunting and all i have ever seen is on tv and with the use of dogs or bait. i dont really have a choice with the corn the outfitters stands are all on corn feeders. i will be using a 30-06 with 150 gr federal soft points, reason i thought of this was i am not sure i will be very confident shooting a running or walking bear im assuming they act like deer in a deer drive? any info would be appreciated about hunting in this area, like what to expect how the bears behave and what not, im most certain we will be hunting on national forest soo no worries ill stay out of your cabin. the out fitter does not have a walk in cooler soo my buddy and i thought we would build a large cooker in the bed of my truck and cool it with dry ice. and butcher when we get back to ks. also i am interested in what the weather will be like there in late november.

I've killed a few deer down there but have never glimpsed a bear. My relitives keep inviting me down there to hunt bear but I just do not believe there are many (any?) down there. I also don't like the idea of having to call the fish and game depts. hotline every morning to see if the area that I'm hunting is still open for bear. instesd of issueing a set number of permits arkansas sells as many as they can and then closes an area when a certain number are taken. If your guide is anything like the arkies that I've known, he won't bother checking and leave you holding the bag (or bear) if you get caught.
The speed of the animals will depend on weither or not the dogs are leashed or running loose. either way I would choose a heavier bullet. At the ranges you'll be shooting down there, even a 220 gr bullet will not be a handicap and will leave a good blood trail. That may prove to be important in that area. The first deer that I killed down there was hit with a 12 ga slug, took the top 1/3 of his heart off and he still made 75 yards or so. Adrenalin.
I haven't hunted down there in many years so some things may have changed but I doubt the people's attitudes have. They don't seem to be real sportsmen (baiting for deer?) and honesty is not their strong point. Any chance you could hunt elsewhere?

Oh, the thing about the cabin was sort of a joke, it might make a OK chicken coop or something but it's not fit for normal people to overnight in as it's nearly 100 years old. It is inside the national park though.
Weather should be about 15" warmer than in Kansas at the same time.
If you are going to cool the deer for the drive home you might want to remove the skin then hang the deer here. I'm not kidding about the toughness and strong flavor of a driven deer. I really hope that you don't get a skewed idea of what hunting is all about from arkansas.It is a different world.

your awe full pessimistic aren't u snake river. the hunt im going on is pretty much a self guided hunt no dogs i meant that i have only seen bear hunting on TV and it was with dogs or bait. the lodge im stayin at assists hunters on a bear drive every morning. and in the evenings we can sit on stand over corn feeders for deer. i take it you've never hunted over a food plot before. i go with ted nugents theory for feeding deer corn, for years he watched deer out of his stand flock to a certain corner of a cut corn field so he decided to check it out and there was a bunch of corn there where the combine had spilled it. man accidentally put that corn there so y not purposely put it there if its gonna be there any ways and what is a clover field planted by humans deer bait or a salt block or mineral block also deer bait, i see nothing wrong with hunting over so called deer bait. as far as being bears in Arkansas its nick name is the bear state having pry more bears than any other state in the lower forty eight besides Maine. i have read lots of recent articles about bear populations in Arkansas being strong. and must u be so hard on arkies the person running this operation is a Kansas born person born in Pratt ks. but i will check on what u said about your saying u have to call in every morning to see if u can hunt in that area. some how that seems awe full fishy. thanks for your input but i was hoping for more positive feedback, and some one who has hunted black bear in the ozark area.

I was pointing out that I have been down there before, and was disappointed every single time. I know that you needed to call in as of 4 yrs ago, a co-worker went down there to hunt bears and his area closed on the 2nd day of his trip. He was a bit put out by the whole thing.
I can also tell you about hunting 'razorbacks' down there. Of course those are bad stories as well. I did at least see a hog down there though. She was mostly white and had a tag in her ear, but it was a hog.
I just hope you have better luck down there than I ever had.

I was pointing out that I have been down there before, and was disappointed every single time. I know that you needed to call in as of 4 yrs ago, a co-worker went down there to hunt gay men and his area closed on the 2nd day of his trip. He was a bit put out by the whole thing.
I can also tell you about hunting 'razorbacks' down there. Of course those are bad stories as well. I did at least hump a man down there though. He was mostly white and had a tag on his d---, but it was a hog.
I just hope you have better luck down there than I ever had.

snake i emailed the outfitter today and this is what he had to say. the call in thing is no longer in effect for the unit we will be hunting in due to a rise in bear populations. the bear hunt offered is a drive we start at daylight and walk down the mountain in a slow stalk until about mid day where we return to our cabin eat a lunch take a nap and then head out to our stands to try our luck on deer hunting over corn feeders. the stands are on private property soo baiting is legal for both bear and deer. i am sorry for coming off like i did i was just a lil took'n back by what u had to say. he said most all of our shots taken will be either standing or walking shots. i am not expecting a garantee other than i good time really its a cheap chance at a bear close to home. u should go back down there to ur 90 and take some apples with u and set in a stand u might have good luck now since the populations are on a rise. thanks u did urge me to ask more questions bout the hunt.

snake i emailed the outfitter today and this is what he had to say. the call in thing is no longer in effect for the unit we will be hunting in due to a rise in bear populations. the bear hunt offered is a drive we start at daylight and walk down the mountain in a slow stalk until about mid day where we return to our cabin eat a lunch take a nap and then head out to our stands to try our luck on deer hunting over corn feeders. the stands are on private property soo baiting is legal for both bear and deer. i am sorry for coming off like i did i was just a lil took'n back by what u had to say. he said most all of our shots taken will be either standing or walking shots. i am not expecting a garantee other than i good time really its a cheap chance at a bear close to home. u should go back down there to ur 90 and take some apples with u and set in a stand u might have good luck now since the populations are on a rise. thanks u did urge me to ask more questions bout the hunt.
As long as you have a good time.
Just remember that hunting there is unlike hunting anywhere else. Arkansas is the only place I've been where they brag on shooting quail on the ground and turkeys in trees.
I'd still recommend a bit more bullet weight.

Now see I recommend a bullet weight way bigger because I have actually never hunted bears but I read in one of my reloading books one time that you need a bigger weight. You can go with a lighter grain bullet but you are WRONG. Do you want to be WRONG? I am RIGHT. I spend all my time researching bullets, guns and loads so I know I am RIGHT. I have no time to hunt but if I ever did I would always use the RIGHT bullet for the RIGHT job. It sickens me you would use something I DID NOT recommend. |oo

You sicken me.

Back