Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

BBQ Pull Coon/Pork

JTHOMP

Thought I would share something a little different I made this weekend.....

My brother and I killed a fair amount of coons this winter and I plan to kill a lot more in the future when I get my hunting dog so want to perfect the recipe. The coon was a very large female that had been eating corn from the neighboring hunting lease all fall and winter. Next time I cook one like this I'll trim more fat off the meat and let the chickens enjoy it. I like the cooked fat after it has been seared; no different than having a little fat left on a steak. But the amount of pure fat I left on this one was excessive.

I've been having a random bag of cubed domestic pork meat left over from making sausage a couple years ago so I used it as well to help fill the pot. All the meat was first marinade with Italian dressing, Worcestershire sauce, and Best Stop seasoning blend. After marinade it was browed in cast iron then placed in the crock pot. Once the meat was browned I threw in a diced onion, and added some beer more Worcestershire sauce and scrapped all the brown off the pot. With standing liquid in the pot I also BBQ sauce and garlic. The BBQ was a home made blend that my girl friend had gotten from her boss's husband. Very good flavor and a lot of spice. I added about half a pint and dissolved it in the liquid. Then added the liquid to the crock pot.

With the crock pot on high for 8 hours I picked the meat off the bone. The only problem was there was way too much liquid. Drained the liquid from the crock pot into another pot and cooked it down on the stove until it got thicker and added it back to the crock pot. I was out of the homemade BBQ so added Sweet Baby Ray's Chipotle blend to thicken it up more and give it more BBQ taste. Also added some pepperoncini peppers to the meat as well. Overall the meat is delicious and has won the approval of my girl friend who until recently swore she would never try coon. Couple weeks ago a coon killed "her" baby goose so between the food value and vengeance she is ready for more.

One thing I would like to try in the future is adding liquid smoke, or smoking it before cooking it down.
IMG_7590.JPG

IMG_7592.JPG

IMG_7596.JPG

Last edited:
That’s awesome!!! I’ve made coon into tamales n chorizo before n always turned out good

I'd like to see those recipes. I've always thought about coon sausage. It's so fatty might not have to add pork. When I get my dog, I plan to do a lot less deer and pig hunting the first couple years and hunt with the dog to give as much experience as possible. So I figure might as well get creative with the cooking.

A good way to avenge her goose is to keep eating Rakins!

I've never eaten raccoon but after these pictures, I'd try!

The ones I’ve cooked have been around grain fields n grain bins; so no pork needed, plenty of fat. As far as recipes, I’ve posted my chorizo recipe on this forum, if u can’t find it I will post it again. The tamales, u just make an adobo or chile colorado sauce n slow cook the coon in it w some onions n garlic, shred the meat n that’s ur tamale filling; also good just like that.

Well, they are in the "bear family" and they eat about the same diet. I had some in a chili once, but this has me wondering about whole cuts...

Well, they are in the "bear family" and they eat about the same diet. I had some in a chili once, but this has me wondering about whole cuts...

Bear family....in the back of my mind when cooking this one I was thinking they are omnivorous and wondered what the possibility for trichinosis was.
The meat as a whole cut even trimmed of fat has a slight greasy taste/texture. I could see how some people may not care for it. I haven't eaten a whole lot but the ones I had were either grilled, or in a gravy. If grilling, it's best to use a young one. For this pulled BBQ dish I have a difficult time distinguishing between what is pork and what is coon.

Last edited:
Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dyaddof
Back