Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Barnes ttsx mushroom ?

While the Barnes Bullets may not be perfection.....they’re pretty close! Barnes has been our “only” hunting bullet since the early ‘90’s. They were good then.....they’re “great” now! With numerous Antelope, elk, moose, and a bear, almost all were one shot kills. And, have only recovered 2 bullets....one, after it “full-lengthed” a rag horn bull elk! memtb

I have love the TTSX, and so does my 30-06. It groups well enough for a hunting rifle and had no problem punching clean through 2 pronghorns last weekend. 1 shot at about 200 yards was a clean pass through and dropped the buck right there. 2nd was on a doe at around 250 yards and same results as the buck. Pass through and dead right there.

When I trimmed the meat on the buck, i did find the blue tip pushed up into the backstrap, but nothing else

I'm hoping to use them on some deer and elk here next week and will update if successful

I punched two original x bullets into a NM Oryx years ago. They were from a 7 mag and weighed 160 grains. One went sideways and was under the hide and the other went full length of the animal on a frontal followup shot and was under the hide on the rump. Both were over 90 percent intact. I would not hesitate to use them again, especially since they are improved. I just don't need that kind of penetration, anymore. Great bullets.

It is all that I would use, if I shot one of the super-magnums.

These are 165 grain ttsx I pulled from my mule deer buck. Shot at 325 yds from a 300wm at ~3100 FPS muzzle vel. Don’t know what impact velocity was. One lost a petal, the other is all there. Great bullet IMO
B296B8BB-A47B-4517-A7B9-5D4D2BE80BB3.jpeg

I've hunted exclusively with Barnes bullets in my .375 RUM and .300 Weatherby since 2005. I started with TSX bullets, and a few years ago I changed to TTSX. I've used them on a number of international hunts, along with elk hunts in Montana and a exotic hunt in Texas. Most bullets went through the smaller (deer size) animals, along with a couple that went through bull elk, but most of my recovered bullets had the typical Barnes mushroom, with a couple that had one petal broken off.
bhpJ8Wul.jpg

WDZuLIfl.jpg

A3kWl03l.jpg

Ntj98Aml.jpg

I've shot wet phone books numerous times with a TSX and TTSX out of a 7mm rem. mag. for testing. Every single one came out as the best looking mushrooms

8 antelope with either TSXs (7-08) or TTSXs (.243). Only 1 bullet recovered. Perfect mushroom. 7 of the 8 went less than 5 yards. the 8th went about 30 yards. I love them. 1 bull elk with a 180 TSX. 2 shots, both pass throughs. DRT. Not having lead in the meat is a nice bonus.

With high impact speeds you can lose the petals from a Barnes bullet.
When they originally came out, the Barnes X bullet was supposed to shed it's petals.
People complained the petals came off, so they changed the design.

Personally that is one of the reasons i've been looking at Cutting Edge bullets.
Petals come off, creating their own wound chanels, while base keeps going.

Although the Berger VLD comes apart inside the animal, seldom leaving an exit wound. Proved extremely efficient at taking animals down. Massive internal damage! No meat damage.

I took two doe antelope a few weeks ago with 168 grain TTSX out of my .308 and the rounds performed flawlessly. Both were clean pass throughs. Both post-mortem inspections showed what resembled X's for exits. Did find the little blue tips though. Very happy with the rounds and they shoot incredibly out of my gun.

The only bullet I use for hunting anymore is a 130 grain ttsx out of my 270 WSM. I can shoot anything in North America and not have to worry about how the bullet will perform. Most critters I've shot have a pencil sized entrance hole and quarter sized exit hole. That is perfect, in my mind. The bullets I have recovered have all been under the hide on the far side and have retained nearly 100% of their weight with a perfect mushroom.

Shot a bull elk this week with 300wm 165 grain ttsx the bullets performed perfectly and he didn't go far. Little meat damage also. Both complete pass thru shots into shoulder area.

Shot my bull last year with 165gr out of my 300wsm at 180 yards. Took 3 steps and fell over. Complete pass through and good internal damage. Killed 2 antelope this fall shooting 130gr TSX (non tipped) out of my 6.5creedmore. Both pass through and died quickly. I am 100% sold on Barnes bullets after past experiences with the Hornady ELDX’s. Will never shoot those again

130 Etip fired from a 270 at 3100 into a white tail. Impact was just under 500 iirc.20181114_131208.jpg

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back