Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Backpacking tents/sleep systems... thoughts?

I am curious to see if anyone else has run into this issue, or what their best solution has been?

Previously, we have purchased a light weight 2p tent (my dad and I hunt together in late September at high elevations and we backpack all of our gear in). In our experience the 2p tent is too small for us. He is 6'2", I am 6'7". For starters, I had experienced my feet touching one side with my head smudged in the other. It didn't make for hardly any sleep our entire trip... Between both of our packs and bows, I have been doing my best to look for lighter weight, but dependable 3p tent ideas that offer a little more room for sleep and gear. I could care less if it had a floor or not but the old man refuses any idea without one. Last season, I hucked around a standard 3p tent that had to have been around 12-15lbs in its entirety... My pack ended up weighing in at almost 60lbs full (heaviest I have ever had it). I'm looking to cut that down significantly. I can handle the weight, but I also believe in making things a little more manageable/mobile whenever possible, so I am open to suggestions or ideas.

Side note, for myself personally, the tent/sleep system setup has been the one thing that has been the most irritating & difficult for me to dial in, as it's been a bunch of trial and error with not much success in that category. We have tried several different tents and sleeping pads, and we have also run a trip with just hammocks. But as we have started to hunt later into September, Hammocks tend to be a little too cold at night and they offer 0 protection from any potential weather. I've also tried out 3 different sleeping bags but with my broad shoulders and height, I think that's just always destined to be an issue LOL.

I appreciate any advice, suggestions, or recommendations!

I am curious to see if anyone else has run into this issue, or what their best solution has been?

Previously, we have purchased a light weight 2p tent (my dad and I hunt together in late September at high elevations and we backpack all of our gear in). In our experience the 2p tent is too small for us. He is 6'2", I am 6'7". For starters, I had experienced my feet touching one side with my head smudged in the other. It didn't make for hardly any sleep our entire trip... Between both of our packs and bows, I have been doing my best to look for lighter weight, but dependable 3p tent ideas that offer a little more room for sleep and gear. I could care less if it had a floor or not but the old man refuses any idea without one. Last season, I hucked around a standard 3p tent that had to have been around 12-15lbs in its entirety... My pack ended up weighing in at almost 60lbs full (heaviest I have ever had it). I'm looking to cut that down significantly. I can handle the weight, but I also believe in making things a little more manageable/mobile whenever possible, so I am open to suggestions or ideas.

Side note, for myself personally, the tent/sleep system setup has been the one thing that has been the most irritating & difficult for me to dial in, as it's been a bunch of trial and error with not much success in that category. We have tried several different tents and sleeping pads, and we have also run a trip with just hammocks. But as we have started to hunt later into September, Hammocks tend to be a little too cold at night and they offer 0 protection from any potential weather. I've also tried out 3 different sleeping bags but with my broad shoulders and height, I think that's just always destined to be an issue LOL.

Get shorter! Typically, a 2 person tent is best if you're comfortable with snuggling whoever you're with. My wife and I have a 2 person we use, otherwise I'll use it solo too.

Lay your stuff out on the floor, then measure the area you need. Most tents provide a layout size which should give you a pretty good idea of what size you need. Tape the same area out on the floor and figure out if that's going to be big enough or not.

FWIW, I just noticed the other day that Big Agnes has a "long" version of the Copper Spur. The 3p packed weight is 3.9 lbs, interior length 96 in, peak height 47 in.

Hilleberg has a nice video with a 6'6" guy about tents for taller people. I know not everyone needs or wants a 15 year type of tent, but if nothing else it's useful for visualizing what factors to focus on in tent geometry for taller folks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a solution

It sounds like it's time for separate tents. Your requirements vs your dad's requirements are different. You could easily take that lightweight 2-person tent and just run the rain fly and a tarp for more space, and your dad can purchase a 1-2 man lightweight tent that he can set up however he wants.
I have thought about that as an option as well.

FWIW, I just noticed the other day that Big Agnes has a "long" version of the Copper Spur. The 3p packed weight is 3.9 lbs, interior length 96 in, peak height 47 in.

Hilleberg has a nice video with a 6'6" guy about tents for taller people. I know not everyone needs or wants a 15 year type of tent, but if nothing else it's useful for visualizing what factors to focus on in tent geometry for taller folks.

Thanks for sharing! I'll take a look!

Get shorter! Typically, a 2 person tent is best if you're comfortable with snuggling whoever you're with. My wife and I have a 2 person we use, otherwise I'll use it solo too.

Lay your stuff out on the floor, then measure the area you need. Most tents provide a layout size which should give you a pretty good idea of what size you need. Tape the same area out on the floor and figure out if that's going to be big enough or not.
If only! Getting a little shorter would fix a lot of problems. I might even be able to drive a handful of cars if that were the case hahaha. Don't even get me started on airplanes... it never fails that I get stuck behind the individual that always wants to utilize the inch of recline that the seats offer. Being so tall, it's even a bit of a hassle to find apparel that fits properly/comfortably ESPECIALLY when it comes to hunting. I just do my best to be optimistic about it because it also has its occasional advantages!

If only! Getting a little shorter would fix a lot of problems. I might even be able to drive a handful of cars if that were the case hahaha. Don't even get me started on airplanes... it never fails that I get stuck behind the individual that always wants to utilize the inch of recline that the seats offer. Being so tall, it's even a bit of a hassle to find apparel that fits properly/comfortably ESPECIALLY when it comes to hunting. I just do my best to be optimistic about it because it also has its occasional advantages!
I can only imagine. I'm 5'11" and in most trucks I have the seat slid all the way back. I can't imagine being 8" taller. Not sure what I'd do with my legs then.

Sometimes I take for granted how nice it is to be a Size Large in pretty much everything.

I will throw a 2nd in for the copper spur UL 3P has 2 doors and 2 vestibule's weight is I believe just under 4lbs with poles, stakes, rain fly. Keep your packs in the vestibule.

Or if floorless is an option SO redclif 6p with a carbon pole comes in at 66.2oz for the whole setup. Could put a stove in it too.

We slept 2 guys on the Disc-o-bed XL cots side by side last fall truck camping with plenty off room for 2 more guys if needed. That was in the SO

Seek outside cimarron with the full nest. You can’t run it as a hot tent with the nest but it is a palace. I’m 6’3”. I think you would still have plenty of room at 6’7”.

Lamas and this....

Check out Argali tents. Brad builds quality equipment, the Absaroka is my tent and i use it solo plenty big for 2 and gear. I researched em all for months and kept going back to this tent.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back