AZ unit 22 late December/early January

Eaglerb634

Looking for a little info here on this hunt, coming from the east and doing all my scouting on line and ordered maps but looking for some advice on best ways to hunt this area and for the guys that found success on this hunt what were the tactics you guys used. Thanks in advance for any info!

Archery deer is Jan 1-31 in 22. Any antlered deer so you could take a coues as well. Mule deer should be rutting and I would give the Diamond Rim a few days as well as right up against the Mogollon Rim. Mule deer densities are pretty low. I've not hunted them in 22 but I have seen several while elk hunting in early Dec. Good luck.

yeah I know coues would be a possibility for me as well but I was planning on mule deer being my primary target and if I was in a situation to put a good stalk on a coues deer buck I sure as heck will try. Ive read quite a bit about mule deer numbers continuing to suffer in this unit so that I expect but I feel if I spend enough time glassing those rims I might just be able to slip up on a good mullie. thank you for the input how was pressure in the unit?

22 is popular with coues hunters and some really serious coues hunters. Close enough to Phoenix to get crowded on the weekends. Be patient and take advantage of the weekdays. Finding a good glassing location can be tough as the trees and brush are pretty thick in most of the unit. You need to get pretty high to look down into the surrounding cover, like on the edge of a cliff. I've had some good glassing success by driving out of the unit on the 300 road and glassing down off the Mogollon Rim but its a long drive to get back down into 22 and bailing off the rim is for better men than me.

Back