AZ late season

cdwyer07

Hey folks,
I’m new to applying as a non-resident in Arizona. I’ve hunted Montana my whole life and shot some nice bulls. I’ve always wanted to hunt Arizona and last year I started putting in as a non resident. I’ve read several articles and heard various podcasts on how bad of a late hunt unit 9 is, how it’s terrible glassing, however the success rates are over 40%. Since I’m pretty confident that I can fill my Montana elk tag, I’m really interested in hunting a mature bull, I’m not a huge numbers guy, but rather just looking for an older bull. Other units I’m considering is 8 and 7 W but those units are considerably smaller and have more tags. Does this lead to greater congestion and a lesser quality hunt? Or is a guy capable of hiking away from the crowds in those units? I understand 9 is a relatively flat unit, and it looks like it has a ton of roads, so are hunters able to have the opportunity of spot and stalk or is it an unit where a guy is better off sitting water? Thanks in advance for any advice, I appreciate it. Good luck to everyone in 2020.

9 has bigger elk because of how thick the cover is in that unit. I'd be more inclined to go after 8 or 7 the elevation changes present better locations for glassing. I elk hunted a very flat unit this year and it was a tough hunt that required a lot more walking than glassing.

Water is probably not going to be a good option, unless it is a drought year.

Hey folks,
I’m new to applying as a non-resident in Arizona. I’ve hunted Montana my whole life and shot some nice bulls. I’ve always wanted to hunt Arizona and last year I started putting in as a non resident. I’ve read several articles and heard various podcasts on how bad of a late hunt unit 9 is, how it’s terrible glassing, however the success rates are over 40%. Since I’m pretty confident that I can fill my Montana elk tag, I’m really interested in hunting a mature bull, I’m not a huge numbers guy, but rather just looking for an older bull. Other units I’m considering is 8 and 7 W but those units are considerably smaller and have more tags. Does this lead to greater congestion and a lesser quality hunt? Or is a guy capable of hiking away from the crowds in those units? I understand 9 is a relatively flat unit, and it looks like it has a ton of roads, so are hunters able to have the opportunity of spot and stalk or is it an unit where a guy is better off sitting water? Thanks in advance for any advice, I appreciate it. Good luck to everyone in 2020.
I'm in the exact same boat. You looking at the late rifle or late archery hunts?

I'm in the exact same boat. You looking at the late rifle or late archery hunts?
+1
e.png

I live in AZ and know unit 9 like the back of my hand. But I don't know anything about Montana, other then Im going to put in for the non-resident combo tag this year and need some direction as to where to go. PM me and maybe we can exchange info to help each other out

Following. I as well will be applying for the late archery hunt for 2020. It was suggested to me unit 23, but with so many tags I feel it will be congested

Following. I as well will be applying for the late archery hunt for 2020. It was suggested to me unit 23, but with so many tags I feel it will be congested

175 tags in unit 23 is not congested. Its a big unit with elk much farther south than most people think

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back