Art restoration?

Irrelevant

Does anyone know anything about restoring old oil paintings? My grandma when through a period where she painted a bunch, when she passed we split up her art. I have 3 in great condition, but one, I salvaged from the garbage, it was rolled up and didn't handle unrolling well, there are several cracks and chips missing, but I still really like it and would like to find a way to "restore" it, whatever that means.

I know this is a stupid shot in the dark on a hunting forum, but HT as consistently surprised me.

Everything I know about art restoration comes from reading Daniel Silva books about Gabriel Allon. They are great reads but not much help to your current challenge. Best of luck!

Does anyone know anything about restoring old oil paintings? My grandma when through a period where she painted a bunch, when she passed we split up her art. I have 3 in great condition, but one, I salvaged from the garbage, it was rolled up and didn't handle unrolling well, there are several cracks and chips missing, but I still really like it and would like to find a way to "restore" it, whatever that means.

I know this is a stupid shot in the dark on a hunting forum, but HT as consistently surprised me.
I have absolutely no idea what a pro would do, but I’d just roll it flat and put some modpodge on the back and leave it perfectly flat to dry. For the front they sell products painters use to seal old paint down, so they can paint over it without issue. It generally dries clear and holds the edges of chipping paint very well. If it’s this or the garbage, I’d give it a try. Good luck Neff

Weird reply but it's all I got lol.

Look up The Repair Shop show on whatever streaming service it is on nowadays. It's a BBC show and they repair all sorts of old stuff, including paintings, and show the process. It might at least get you headed in the right direction and see what, if anything, is possible. If I remember correctly, many times it involves a painter repainting the missing areas/cracks after rehydration of some sort. It's quite a process to be done right.

My buddy from high school does oil painting restoration professionally in DC. Like cathedrals and museum level work. If you PM me pictures of the damage I can send them on to him and see what he says.

Neff when I was working down in Cali I had a buddy that had an old family (his grand and great grandparents) portrait touched up and “flattened”. Don’t know what his final costs were but he said the place was charging him like $175/hour for the work!
Spendy stuff right there!

I was going to hit up my artist aunt for ideas when I call her today....make sure I get some of my uncles art I was promised....I have the hat collection. LOL

Back