Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Are solid copper bullets considered to be FMJ for hunting purposes?

I doubt anyone would classify that as jacketed in any way. From what I understand, some states require the projectile to be of an expanding design so some heavy solids would obviously not meet that criteria. Otherwise, I think that would be fine for the non-FMJ requirement.

UPDATE: I spoke with a conservation officer in KY on the phone, and he admitted he was stumped regarding the question. I sent him the manufacturers information (links) and he got back with me: "I’m not a gun expert but I would say those are fine to hunt with." So at least I've got it in writing now should any questions come up.

I believe the intent is almost always that fmj aren't allowed since they don't expand at all.

All copper bullets are still designed to expand so they are fine to use. I looked at your bullet you linked but couldn't see much about it. Hard to tell if it's designed to expand or not. Not a ttsx like I use so not the most help I know

Those are non-expanding “Tumble Upon Impact” solid copper projectiles. FMJ’s are non-expanding lead core, copper jacketed projectiles, which also happen to tumble upon impact. It sounds like you’d be okay from a law enforcement / game warden perspective since they’re also confused, and I’m sure they’ll kill a deer, but personally I’d be shooting some type of expanding projectile on a deer.

I looked at those as well. They seem to have no expansion capabilities. I would look for something from another manufacturer which is a hollow-point design if you want an "All Copper" bullet, not necessarily "Solid Copper" or "Non-Expanding." I would say they match the description closer to that of FMJ rather than not due to the design.

I looked at those as well. They seem to have no expansion capabilities. I would look for something from another manufacturer which is a hollow-point design if you want an "All Copper" bullet, not necessarily "Solid Copper" or "Non-Expanding." I would say they match the description closer to that of FMJ rather than not due to the design.
Yes, I agree - which is what had me worried about using them.
Those are non-expanding “Tumble Upon Impact” solid copper projectiles. FMJ’s are non-expanding lead core, copper jacketed projectiles, which also happen to tumble upon impact. It sounds like you’d be okay from a law enforcement / game warden perspective since they’re also confused, and I’m sure they’ll kill a deer, but personally I’d be shooting some type of expanding projectile on a deer.
Not sure if the TUI is real or if it's just marketing. I understand that they keep a lot of the bullet mass intact, which IMHO should greatly aid in a double-lung impact. I'll try them out this fall. I'm also a big fan of Buffalo Bore ammunition, so I may bring a box of these with me (specifically item 8B):

Yes. You could double lung any land dwelling animal in the western hemisphere with a 45 caliber 300gr solid.

Interesting concept on that bullet. Their own posted ballistics gel videos show a very narrow permanent wound cavity. I wont say the tumbling wounding mechanism is notably inferior because I don't know that it just doesn't look particularly impressive in the gel.

FMJ bullets have a Full Metal Jacket covering the tip of the which prevents them from expanding, ie, military bullets. These are the bullets that many states prohibit for hunting big game animals. However large caliber solid bullets are recommended for hunting very large animals, like elephants, where you want maximum penetration.

Mono copper bullets, like Barnes X,some Hornadys, etc, have a very small hollow point and a hollow cavity in the bullet tip or a plastic tip which almost always insures expansion, and are very effective on game animals.

FMJ are harder metal alloy covering softer core. Solid copper is not FMJ. Copper is entirely a softer metal than the stuff used to jacket FMJ bullets.
FMJ bullets were primarily designed for military use after various wartime conventons banned expanding bullets.

The Full Metal Jackets are copper or a copper alloy over a lead or steel core for amor piercing bullets. The copper jackets engage the rifling of the barrel and prevent leading of the barrel or damage to the barrel from steel core bullets. The copper jackets are alloyed to harden the copper to help prevent copper fouling in the barrel.

Although some bullet manufacturers may "tweak" the alloys of the copper jackets to make their bullets "better" than the other guy's bullets, the jackets are still a copper alloy and basically the same copper alloy is used in military FMJ bullets as is the copper alloy used in the jackets of standard lead core hunting bullets.

Mono copper bullets are also alloyed to help prevent copper fouling in the barrels and these bullets have multiple grouves in their sides to reduce the amount of copper to steel contact as the bullet moves down the barrel.

I know GA deer are kind of dinky, but the deer aren't that much bigger in KY. It looks like you are picking bullets for shooting moose or something.

If I were you I would do my shoulder and pocketbook a favor and try something like this:
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1001616368?pid=734531
Those are nearly twice the price I paid for the Fort Scott ammunition. I paid $1.83/round for the Fort Scott ammo, and have a very good supply of it.

Well copper hunting bullet's all seem to haave tips designed to expand on impact, FMJ's don't do that!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back