Arctic Grayling

Sweet Pictures! I caught my first grayling on Sat (june 24). I found them real easy to catch. i didn't know what they were till i looked in the fishing regulations. I caught mine in Wyoming and they were the size of the ones Buzz caught. Are they stocked in the lakes in MT and WY??? Does anyone know??? I caught mine at Cross Lake in the Windriver Mountains. About 6 miles in on the Blueberry Lake trailhead. Also caught a huge brook, had a hooked jaw.

Great pics! Keep 'em coming.

EL

Wyo,

Most of the mountain lakes of MT and Wyoming have been stocked. Some don't allow for natural reproduction and need to be stocked on a cycle. Some have natural reproduction. If there is a variety of sizes then it probably has natural reproduction. Brook trout (grayling must also) often tend to reproduce too good, that's why you find a lot of lakes with tons of little ones. My brother caught a brookie once in the Wind Rivers in a stream that flowed out of a barren lake that looked like a football. Lot's of food but short growing season can make them look like that. He was gorging on fresh water shrimp the he had all to himself. That's what gives them a pink or orange flesh color....they don't get any better to eat than that!

Sweet pics. Its been a long time since I hooked a grayling. I used to catch a bunch on the Madison when I fished the inlet at Ennis lake aka my front yard... Caught quite a few in the Bear Trap as well. There are a couple lakes up in the Gravely's that are stocked as well Axolotal lakes. Never ate one though, they look like they'd taste about like a white fish... LOL

Seems like they fought a lot harder than a trout of the same size.

Back