Caribou Gear

Archery tech work

starvingoutdoorsman

Anyone know if there is a way you can learn to work on bows without needing to have a job at a shop? I enjoy working on bows. I am tired of shotty work as I have one shop within a about 2 hours aside from Cabelas and a couple other retailers. Eventually I want to maybe start a small shop or do work on the side for people as I know I probably cant quit my day job. Basically all I know is what I have learned online, but you never know whats right and whats wrong. Like what I am running into for example. My bow got new string and cable 2 years ago yet never shot like it did with the original string. I could shoot good groups but lost a ton of speed. Found out that maxed out my bow is pulling 51lbs instead of the full 70. I have been told the wrong string was ordered or sent, but also read online that you need to add remove twists on new strings to get your bow back into spec. Thats just one issue I run into because of crappy retail "Archery techs"... The list can go on but im tired of it and want to do my own quality work and because I like to work on it and tinker, I think I could offer better service than a lot of people. :D I know I would need to invest in some equipment also. Just not sure about proper training as I can not do a second job just to learn right now.

Check out archerytalk.com . There are volumes of knowledge about archery on that site. Use the search function and you can pretty much learn everything you need. Lots of good tutorials also.

Check out archerytalk.com . There are volumes of knowledge about archery on that site. Use the search function and you can pretty much learn everything you need. Lots of good tutorials also.

Thanks. I was advised to go there by another person on Facebook and find someone that goes by "nuts and bolts". Seems pretty good so far.

Nuts and bolts is a solid guy on AT. You will learn a ton.

As far as learning to do your own stuff, while it can be difficult to work through whats right and wrong, compound bows have been mostly the same for the last 30 yrs with some upgrades in materials. I would say if you look for the answer to a question, you should be able to find the right answer being said at least 5 times in different. sources.

I started in archery in 2005. In that time I've learned a ton and I can do most things on my bow and arrows. As far as learning enough info to start your own shop, you may need to spend some time working someplace or attend some of the training that the big companies offer.

Check out soleadventure.com

Its a hunter blog that I started following. The guy is going to spend several posts detailing how to set up a bow from start to finish.

You will never get the experience you need to open a shop unless you have worked as a tech in a shop. That's just the way it is. I have ran more archery shops then most people have been in. The options for bow work are poor in this community, I say this because I know them all quite well. That is why I was going to open my own shop last year. Had everything ready to go; location, vendors, and the money. All I needed to do was sign on the dotted line. Problem, to get a shop running takes to much time and money. It's a guarantee killer to your hunting and your marriage to, guaranteed. Now I tech out of my garage for people, keeps me in the game but gives me personal time as well. You can go to the vendor clinics to learn some tech work but they are costly. Online, AT and huntersfriend, will get you going. But the only way to learn this is to do it, watching a YouTube video on cam timing is almost pointless as it doesn't address all that needs to be looked at. If interested, you can bring a bow over and we'll go through it. I'll tell you more then you care to know about wrenching on a bow and what it takes to open a shop. Shit l could save you a year and give you all my business plans, I know exactly what your shop would be able to produce in this market.

You will never get the experience you need to open a shop unless you have worked as a tech in a shop. That's just the way it is. I have ran more archery shops then most people have been in. The options for bow work are poor in this community, I say this because I know them all quite well. That is why I was going to open my own shop last year. Had everything ready to go; location, vendors, and the money. All I needed to do was sign on the dotted line. Problem, to get a shop running takes to much time and money. It's a guarantee killer to your hunting and your marriage to, guaranteed. Now I tech out of my garage for people, keeps me in the game but gives me personal time as well. You can go to the vendor clinics to learn some tech work but they are costly. Online, AT and huntersfriend, will get you going. But the only way to learn this is to do it, watching a YouTube video on cam timing is almost pointless as it doesn't address all that needs to be looked at. If interested, you can bring a bow over and we'll go through it. I'll tell you more then you care to know about wrenching on a bow and what it takes to open a shop. Shit l could save you a year and give you all my business plans, I know exactly what your shop would be able to produce in this market.

I was actually more interested in doing it on the side really. I figured it was a pipe dream a while ago just because of the money and time. I enjoy working on them is all. I had big ideas of indoor 3d range and other stuff but do not really think its something I can remotely live on. I would however like to learn how to work on them. And your right, videos and online tutorials never show everything it seems and everyone's opinions on what your should and should not do are very different sometimes.

I understand exactly where you're coming from. While I know longer tech for a living, I find it to be a lot of fun. If you're ever interested, you can come by and we can talk bow wrenching. I'll show you some cool tools that make tuning a lot easier, especially when you work alone. I'll give you my two cents and we can bounce things around. The issue you had wihen your rig was restrung should have never happened, I'll
show you a few tricks that will get your rig just how you had it even after a complete tear down.

I guess that offer goes for anyone. I'm not gods gift to bow techs, just to women. But I do have a few tricks up my sleeve.

My bow got new string and cable 2 years ago yet never shot like it did with the original string. I could shoot good groups but lost a ton of speed. Found out that maxed out my bow is pulling 51lbs instead of the full 70. I have been told the wrong string was ordered or sent, but also read online that you need to add remove twists on new strings to get your bow back into spec. Thats just one issue I run into because of crappy retail "Archery techs"... The list can go on but im tired of it and want to do my own quality work and because I like to work on it and tinker, I think I could offer better service than a lot of people. :D I know I would need to invest in some equipment also. Just not sure about proper training as I can not do a second job just to learn right now.

Was Superior the shop that re-strung your bow? Let me know if it was.

Was Superior the shop that re-strung your bow? Let me know if it was.
No they were not. I made the mistake of going to Cabelas. To say the least I was still pretty green and thought I was fine since everything else that had been done there had actually be good. Superior was where I finally had it checked after all this time of me thinking it was all in my head.

Lot of people from Billings here! Id take any one up on the offer to talk shop! Love meeting new people. Feel free to PM me if you would like even if your not from Billings.

No they were not. I made the mistake of going to Cabelas. To say the least I was still pretty green and thought I was fine since everything else that had been done there had actually be good. Superior was where I finally had it checked after all this time of me thinking it was all in my head.

Good to hear, Superior is a good shop IMO. Its a hard group to break into to get buddy buddy with the guys I will say. One of the guys working the shop, Kris, just won nfaa nationals. He knows his way around a bow.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back