Yeti GOBOX Collection

Archery hunting silent elk

I just faced this issue in SW NM. I ended up finding elk and killing a silent bull. For me the keys to being successful were staying adaptable and persistent. I also faced this issue last year and when i did not find elk where I was I sat down and glassed elk far off and then made a move on them the following AM. This year I was not able to do as much glassing due to terrain, but I kept working, trying just about anything I could think of, then got a helpful hint, investigated and found elk. In the end I wound up in the right place after moving camp 5 times and only 1 bull sighting, and killed a bull over a waterhole (I hate sitting over water) in an area that had received a ton of rain. I learned a lot including that elk are not going to be where you think they should be 50% of the time, and that if you can find the greatest limiting factor between cover, water, and food, you will likely find elk. Hunt hard and don't let your mind quit on your body.

I know elk were in the area I saw them

So I'll assume they are bedding in dense cover during the day? Knowing where they are is half the battle. Get down wind of them and walk on in like your stalking a big whitetail buck. Cow call sparingly, don't use a bugle.

So I'll assume they are bedding in dense cover during the day? Knowing where they are is half the battle. Get down wind of them and walk on in like your stalking a big whitetail buck. Cow call sparingly, don't use a bugle.

Good advice.

Yeah I spooked a bull this morning, I was about 75 yards from him. I found a road they use to get to their bedding area I was about 125 yards from where I was going to sit, so I just missed it.

I've had this experience on a few archery elk hunts...and it makes it tough!! If there is some open country that you can glass that's probably your best bet in finding elk. If not, you need to put the boots to the ground. Moving through thick cover where elk are bedded isn't easy. My advice is to take it slow, and always be mindful of the wind. Elk aren't quiet animals moving through the woods, so if you make a little noise and the elk can't see or smell you, there's a good chance you can get away with it. Once you find elk, do your best to pattern them as they can work a pretty predictable pattern prior to the rut. That's all the advice I've seemed to pick up over my few years of elk hunting when the elk aren't talking.

My best tip would be to head back this coming weekend. I hunt west of Stanley in another unit and have had just a few responses each weekend so far in the mornings. Passed a few cows/small bulls at water in the evenings which I may come to regret later. Not my favorite way to hunt but it is productive.

Couple the second half of the month with the first "fall" weather we're supposed to get and it should be golden. Good luck and keep after it.

faced the same issue thus far this year.

Still hunting and keep using optics as you do. Worked for me this year. Still hunted right up to this dink. And he had the good manners to step out in the open and stand broadside for me. Not a peep out of him or his companions.

Only sound heard aside from a LOUD 'Thwack' was a final death moan 40 yards distant and 10 seconds later .

Elk are generally very noisy as they move about and often I hear a sound of a twig cracking prior to being busted myself. slow and easy gets it done when you think calling is not advisable such as when the bulls are silent.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 407
Last edited:
PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB