Archery - Black Hills - Need Advice, first time

BenJ-Alabama

All,
New to this forum. Myself and 4 other Veterans were supposed to head to WY in October for a hunt, but COVID has forced plans to change. Had a few questions about hunting the Black hills around Deadwood area, in Mid October.

1. Can we get tags over the counter, or online in September timeframe (trip may be last minute)?
A. If yes, what is usually available for Archery?
b. If no, is there anyway to get them now? (I see the April 1st deadline has passed)

2. We are happy hunting for meat, so not looking for huge bucks, does will suffice as well.

Any tips are welcome, as we will be walking in, not able to scout before hand. We will be staying in Deadwood and are happy to hike, climb, etc.. all day long.

Looking forward to 6 days in the hills, but want to see if we can get a tag for some venison. Please let me know your thoughts and thank you for your time.

Ben

Ben,

Welcome aboard. SD archery for NR is a can of worms. Best way I can describe it is:

Pre-April 1st, allows October through early January to bow hunt on Public land.

Post-April 1st, is private land only anytime during the Fall.

They are "lottery" tags online but they act like you're buying OTC. They ship right away. I've only tried buying them online. I don't know if you can buy them OTC.

Good thing you won't be looking for big bucks as most hills bucks seem to hit their 4x4 basket and stop!

Ben,

Welcome aboard. SD archery for NR is a can of worms. Best way I can describe it is:

Pre-April 1st, allows October through early January to bow hunt on Public land.

Post-April 1st, is private land only anytime during the Fall.

They are "lottery" tags online but they act like you're buying OTC. They ship right away. I've only tried buying them online. I don't know if you can buy them OTC.

Good thing you won't be looking for big bucks as most hills bucks seem to hit their 4x4 basket and stop!
Thanks for the reply, really appreciate it.
So are there online tags I can buy between now and October?
I ask because the regulations and websites are clear as mud for me.

There are 5 of us Veterans that are heading there if we can get tags, even doe tags. Do not care, just some time in the hills, hunting and hiking.

Let me know if you can. Thanks again.

Ben

Thanks for the reply, really appreciate it.
So are there online tags I can buy between now and October?
I ask because the regulations and websites are clear as mud for me.

There are 5 of us Veterans that are heading there if we can get tags, even doe tags. Do not care, just some time in the hills, hunting and hiking.

Let me know if you can. Thanks again.

Ben
Yes, there are plenty of tags but it will strictly be for private land. This is the second year of the April 1st deadline. If you bought one before the 1st all public is open. After that is strictly private. Plenty of tags.

Most people are vet friendly out there. So you could ask for permission!

All,
New to this forum. Myself and 4 other Veterans were supposed to head to WY in October for a hunt, but COVID has forced plans to change. Had a few questions about hunting the Black hills around Deadwood area, in Mid October.

1. Can we get tags over the counter, or online in September timeframe (trip may be last minute)?
A. If yes, what is usually available for Archery?
b. If no, is there anyway to get them now? (I see the April 1st deadline has passed)

2. We are happy hunting for meat, so not looking for huge bucks, does will suffice as well.

Any tips are welcome, as we will be walking in, not able to scout before hand. We will be staying in Deadwood and are happy to hike, climb, etc.. all day long.

Looking forward to 6 days in the hills, but want to see if we can get a tag for some venison. Please let me know your thoughts and thank you for your time.

Ben

Welcome.

If you're happy with does..you'll have NO PROBLEM finding targets. I have not hunted up near deadwood but have driven near there plenty of times. Deer are all over the hills. Good luck to you.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back