MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Any photographers here?

I’m a canon guy, so I’m much more familiar with that brand...I am sure that the other major brands have very similar models in the same price range.

I’d go with something like the Canon t7i. You can usually find a bundle with 2 lenses (18-55 mm and either 55-200 or 70-300 mm...I’d look for the second for extra reach for wildlife). Here’s the lin to t7i on Canon’s site...

Another option, which is becoming more affordable, is the mirror less cameras. The camera body will be smaller, and lighter, a bonus if you’re planning to carry it on hikes or hunts. Here’s a page on Canon’s site with the beginner mirrorless models...and some nice bundle options (but use that primarily for info and shop for deals).

There are a ton of options under your price point. If you are looking for a camera for photos of wildlife, I’d recommend a crop frame sensor, as you’ll get an in camera crop factor...which acts sort of like extra zoom on your lens...

I’d really like to get in to photography but it seems like another really expensive rabbit hole I would head down. My wife has a Sony (not sure of the model) that takes awesome photos. There’s some really good photographers on here, hopefully they can help you out.
Zach

Ah.... $1000. A healthy step off the high dive into the abyss that is wildlife photography. :) Be prepared to shoot off the shelf rifles and sleep in Walmart sleeping bags. :) There are so many options out there with that kind of budget. Anyone telling you the "best" is most likely just sharing what they have experienced. I would start watching review videos on Youtube and look at the footage and hear the pros and cons of each model as you settle on what you hope to achieve. Personally, I would be moving towards mirrorless cameras ( I'm a Canon guy, but Sony seems to be leader of the pack in mirrorless). Buy used from a reliable source like B&H Photo and get last years or two year old technology to maximize bang for your buck. It might not be tip of the spear tech, but is still amazing. Finally, what every photo geek discovers is that lenses are where it's at. Bodies come and go but good glass lets you utilize the electronics to its maximum potential. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...e_6400l_b_alpha_a6400_mirrorless_digital.html This little beauty doesn't fulfill my advice to buy used or older, but it has captured my interests.

Im far from a pro at it, just really love photography. I use a canon 80d and so far have loved the outcome of my photos, its kind of a pain to pack hunt with if thats the plan. But i got it as my beginner camera and its great, you can get the camera body for about $900 to $1000. Amazon always have crazy package deals for like $1200 or so.

Are refurbished cameras from the factory a decent option, or should I shy away from them?

From my research, refurbished from Canon is great. They actually check every single one coming off the line, rather than "spot checking" with the production models. I've read good things from others, and have never been disappointed myself. They also run sales pretty frequently where you can get really good deals. Don't impulse buy...shop around, take your time and find a great deal.

One warning about "package deals" through both Amazon and Ebay (where you can find some really good deals). Most of the time, package deals are put together to get around the manufacturer's MAP pricing. By throwing in a bunch of other stuff, they can advertise at a discounted price (though it will still be higher than the camera by itself). Pay attention to what is in the package, because often they put a bunch of junk that you'll never use in there to make it appear that you are getting a great deal. For example, several will have "filter kits" included...which you probably won't touch unless it is a polarizing filter or a set of ND filters. They will probably include a really cheap memory card, which you will want to replace almost immediately with a quality one (with my first camera, that "deal" memory card crashed the first day I took it out, and I lost 300 pictures from a family outing). So, look for something that contains elements that you KNOW you will actually use and benefit from!

I would look at buying a used 70-200mm lens. Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 would be a great option. The newer optical stabilization models probably go for around 600, and the older non stabilizing models around 400. It looks like you can get used Canon 70d bodies for under $500 now as well. That would be a great setup even beyond the beginner stage.

Probably wouldn't take it backpack hunting, more for wildlife and landscape photography while out hiking or on drives.
If it were me and I wanted a wildlife set up, this is what I would do. It will be a bit over your budget, but once again, what I would do.

I don't have the Nikon 200-500 5.6, but I have heard great things about it. It sells new for $1396. I would then look at used DSLRs at Adorama or B & H. I currently shoot a d7200 on my 500 f4 and I saw one at BandH Used in the 500s. As mentioned, bodies are temporary, but glass should be an investment. You can shop around and find used bodies even cheaper.

As for refurbished, I have only heard good things from other folks. That being said, I picked up a refurbed d500 and I was not impressed with the pics I was getting. I was getting better stuff from my d7200. It went back to Adorama with no questions asked.

Obviously this is not a landscape set up, but would be a great wildlife set up. You could go with a Nikon 18-300 for a little bit of both. I think it would be marginal on both ends.

My 2cents. Good luck and I hope you find what you are looking for.

Probably wouldn't take it backpack hunting, more for wildlife and landscape photography while out hiking or on drives.

I'm no pro, so take my advice with a grain of salt. Wildlife is hard (and expensive) unless you are dedicated to getting close to the animals. I've enjoyed having a point and shoot superzoom for wildlife (I have an old Nikon P510) and then have a "fancy" camera for everything that doesn't require as much reach. I find myself only bringing the superzoom when hiking around because it is lighter and I don't have to fuss with lenses.

The Sony a6400 or a6300 are both good options in your price range, and Canon and Nikon have been making solid cameras for decades.

One consideration - do you have friends nearby that might let you borrow lenses from time to time? When I was getting started, one of my friends already had some Canon, so it helped me learn the camera and have a low-cost way to experiment with different lenses to see what I wanted to invest in.

Ah.... $1000. A healthy step off the high dive into the abyss that is wildlife photography. :) Be prepared to shoot off the shelf rifles and sleep in Walmart sleeping bags. :)

Yep. I own three lenses, all of which cost more than my most expensive rifle.

Look at used from lensrentals.com, B&H Photo, Adorama, etc. buy a decent telezoom to see if you like it and the new save for good glass. Go for 2.8 aperture lenses in the long run.

I shoot full frame now but with quality glass and a decent camera, you can crop a lot. My camera is from 2010 or so and still fine. Don't be afraid of a camera that is last year's model used from a major brand (Nikon, Canon, Sony). I shoot Nikon.

I second the warning to stay away from eBay package deals. The will send you filters that don't even fit the cheap kit lens.

Just don't buy too long of a lens or this will happen (no crop) ................:ROFLMAO:

ONNAzbK.jpg

Back