Any other handgun hunters here?

sc44mag

I hunt primarily with handguns; 6 1/2" .357 Blackhawk with my own heavy reloads, and 7 1/2" Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Mag, also with my own loads. Either Hornady XTP's in both, or 180gr Cast Performance LFP-GC in the .357 and the 250gr Keith bullet in the .44.
Depends on what I'm after, and the mood I'm in!:) I like the Smith & Wesson model 29 for carrying around in general, but the Rugers are much stouter for hunting loads.

Will we get to see any handgun hunts on the show? That would be cool!

I haven't used a handgun for a primary hunting firearm for a long time. When I did, I preferred the handiness of the shorter barrels - a 4 5/8-inch Ruger in .41 mag and a 4-inch Model 29. I gave up some velocity and sight radius for comfort. I wasn't good enough to shoot past 50 or 75 yards on game anyway. I did shoot a hog with a Contender in .35 Rem at about 100 yards, though.

I've .been hunting with a pistol for exotics lately, like the last few years, but its more, really. Thompson contender with a 14 inch barrel in 7-30 waters with 1500 ft lbs out the barrel and open sights. And now an Encore in 308, also a 14 inch barrel and that one has a scope.

I use a 44 Mag .Ruger Super Blackhawk 7 1/2, and a 7 1/2 Ruger 454 Super Redhawk for bear, deer and hogs. Love them both with my loads. I like the Speer 300 gr. for the 454 and the Hornady 265 flat point or the 300 XTP.for the 44 Mag. Most of the shots I take are well under 50 yards with most being 20 to 30 yards.

I use a T/C 309 JDJ. This pistol is a tack driver. I also use a Ruger Super Blackhawk 44, it works

I have hunted with handguns for nearly 30 years where legal. Have used a lot of different firearms, mostly T/C's. I have both contender and Encore barrels. My longest shot was taken on a Wyoming antelope with my old 7-30 Waters and got me a free hunt from the outfitter..He didn't believe I could make the shot and made a bet..he lost. I was much younger and had good eyes and a practiced, steady hand. I have hunted in 13 states with handguns and taken a lot of game with them. Love long range prarie dog and woodchuck hunting with the long barreled hand guns..but the revolvers get plenty of action as well.

shortgun

Shot one whitetail with my .357 from 10 yards once. He was a 5x4 with about 17" spread. Nothing remarkable, but I figured not bad with a handgun. I was rifle hunting and saw this guy rutting in the open. He saw me walking and ran about 300 yards right to me. Not big enough for a rifle kill, I pulled my handgun from my hip and popped him. I was 19 at the time and pretty proud of myself.

Have taken a couple deer using a mod-29/44 with a 8 3/8". Have set up a Encore in 460 last year, didn't get to use it because to scope mounting holes were off, T/C replaced the barrel, so going to try again this year. I have also have taken 4 coyotes with a mod-19/357 4", I carry it when I'm pheasant hunting and have jumped 'em.

I use that model 19 as a walking around gun too, it'll shoot one hole groups with it's best load, 12.5grs of 2400 and a 158gr Hornady XTP, as long as I do my part. I've hit a couple of rabbits and a badger with it, but that's all so far. I really like the XTP!

Back