Yeti GOBOX Collection

Another "is this bullet good enough for that?" thread.....

That is a very odd requirement. Did he write that into your contract? If not, you are well within CO state law, and I'd tell him to pound sand. I would be less worried about the rifle set up, and more worried about the outfitter.
Bingo...

Scored some 160gr partitions to load up.....if it doesn't group well with little effort ill stick with the 140gr interlocks
150 NP's are available right now at SPS... but I'd not sweat staying with your 140 Interlock's.

Montana requires a 150 gr bullet minimum for bison hunting. Would the guys saying not to use the outfitter also not hunt bison if drawn because of the requirement?
That has nothing to do with an outfitted elk hunt in CO where the client is within the law despite being outside the guide's bizarre requirement...

150 NP's are available right now at SPS... but I'd not sweat staying with your 140 Interlock's.
Found some 150gr too over at Natchez , got them both loaded up and headed to shoot a little. Hopefully find something acceptable accuracy wise and gather some muzzle velocity data

That has nothing to do with an outfitted elk hunt in CO where the client is within the law despite being outside the guide's bizarre requirement...
Nope it doesn't, but it is a real simple question.

It sounds like you really have that gun and bullet dialed in with those 140 interlocks. You might run that by him, exactly what you told us how well you have it dialed in with the 140's and the 150's just aren't shooting well in your gun?

Only thing about the interlocks is I have heard of folks having core separation problems with the interlocks on Elk sized game and smaller. Now this was years ago and maybe they fixed that by now?

Maybe try a 140 or 150 partition. Partitions are considered by most to be a solid Elk bullet. They are a flat based bullet (Spitzer) and Flat based bullets seem to be less finicky than the VLD or Boat tail bullets to load.

It sounds like you really have that gun and bullet dialed in with those 140 interlocks. You might run that by him, exactly what you told us how well you have it dialed in with the 140's and the 150's just aren't shooting well in your gun?

Only thing about the interlocks is I have heard of folks having core separation problems with the interlocks on Elk sized game and smaller. Now this was years ago and maybe they fixed that by now?

Maybe try a 140 or 150 partition. Partitions are considered by most to be a solid Elk bullet. They are a flat based bullet (Spitzer) and Flat based bullets seem to be less finicky than the VLD or Boat tail bullets to load.
I ended up getting the 160gr partitions to group well and the velocity drop was 100fps between the 140gr interlock and the 160gr partition. Going to shoot a little this weekend out to 500 and see how well the velocity decay holds up so I can send off for another cds turret before season. The 160gr are hard to come by though, bought 200 total. hoping that will last.

I ended up getting the 160gr partitions to group well and the velocity drop was 100fps between the 140gr interlock and the 160gr partition. Going to shoot a little this weekend out to 500 and see how well the velocity decay holds up so I can send off for another cds turret before season. The 160gr are hard to come by though, bought 200 total. hoping that will last.
That's Great! If they group well then 200 definitely ought to do the trick! I didn't know they even made 160 gn partitions, even better.

As a guide I fully understand where he is coming from. He is not questioning you as a hunter or shooter so dont take offense to that. He may feel that he is (possibly) saving himself the headache of tracking an elk that was poorly shot with a lighter bullet. I have killed and seen elk be killed with a .243. An elk will run just as far with a poorly placed .30 cal bullet as they will with a .270. Like others have said put your bullets in an unmarked box and take them with you. At the end of the day shot placement is more valuable than the weight of the bullet. Confidence kills!

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back