Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Altitude rx

Therightbull

Heading to co in 2wks scouting/vac my wife has rough time with altitude I see altitude rx gets good reviews just wondering if anyone has any experience

I use it religiously before going west for elk hunts. I take it the entire duration of the trip and have noticed I don’t feel as fatigued as the times I have not taken it. I never get headaches or sick either but I always stay well hydrated. I feel it works great but it also might just be placebo effect and it’s all in my head.

Try whatever you like, but proven strategies are drinking plenty of water, avoiding alcohol, slowly acclimating, and taking acetazolamide starting a couple days before hand. Hope she has a better trip this time!

Try whatever you like, but proven strategies are drinking plenty of water, avoiding alcohol, slowly acclimating, and taking acetazolamide starting a couple days before hand. Hope she has a better trip this time!
Yep. I saw some young guys from Mississippi one year in northern New Mexico that were a prime example of what you are saying. They went from Mississippi, to 10,000 feet and were sicker than dogs. They were wondering if they should quit and then after being there two days (before the hunt), they acclimated and hunted hard. They were in pretty good shape, too, which definitely helps.

Please be aware that herbal supplements are NOT regulated by the FDA. These can potentially interact with your home medications and can cause unwarranted side effects. After reviewing the main ingredients it appears there is not sufficient evidence to support this helping with altitude sickness. Please consult with your doctor or pharmacist before taking anything for high altitude illness (HAI). Please note the only medications that are really recommended for HAI is acetazolamide and dexamethasone.

Why not go to the doctor and get a Rx for diamox.

I know my body, and I can tell you when I’m around 10,000’ elevation because I’ll get pounding headaches and nausea. A few years back before ascending some major peaks in the Eastern Sierras (including Mt Whitney) I started taking Ginko Biloba daily. I did this for several weeks leading up to the big hikes. I noticed that it did help with the acclimatization process... but I was probably also hyper sensitive to staying well fed and hydrated. I know it didn’t hurt me, so I continue to use it for any strenuous activity in high elevation.
Just make sure to keep an eye out for the more dangerous signs of altitude sickness. Most of us will get AMS, or Acute Mountain Sickness... it is really based on genetics and not your fitness level. However, you should know that the more serious illnesses such as High Altitude Cerebral Edema or Pulmonary Edema don’t only occur in extreme altitudes... they can occur on any high mountain tops in the west. I may not know a ton about chasing elk, but if you have any wilderness paramedic questions- I can give decent advice hahaha. Best of luck!!

Don't waste your money on this junk, there is no scientific evidence that it works. Take the advice others have said, plenty of water, no alcohol, and maybe get a prescription for Diamox. I come from basically below sea level to 9-11k feet every year. I'm in good shape, but that altitude is a real killer so take it slow the first couple of days.

Last edited:
Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back