Alaska Caribou Hunt Recommendations

James Whitmore

I just got the OK from the wife to do an Alaska DIY Caribou hunt with my father in law in 2021. It has been a dream of ours for 10 years. I have many ideas, plans, and concepts. But since I have never been to Alaska and never hunted anything there, I thought it wise to come in with an empty cup and ask all the experienced people for recommendations.
I am interested in recommendations for area, herd to hunt, pilots, time of year, length of stay, gear lists, additional hunts, cost, etc.

So what are your ideas? Easier to bounce them around than than just take recommendations.
I'm thinking unit 25A. I'm thinking of a min of 7 days in the field and up to 10. I'm wanting to go later in the season when there has been more bug kill off from the frost and the animals are moving more. (But I don't know when that is, of if that is necessarily reality.) I want to do DIY so bear and moose are out as an option, are there other species to hunt other than the OC wolf tag to get lucky with? I have no experience with bush planes and want a reputable one.
Having said all this, I am not strapped down. If someone said I was barking up the wrong tree I'd listen.

Welcome. Lots threads for info in search function to study

Back