Alaska Board Meeting Re: Spring Bear Hunts

KayakMacGyver

Did anyone tune into this meeting on Tuesday that could share some insight into the direction the board is leaning? I understand there are proposals forthcoming with the board scheduled to vote on June 3rd, but am curious what folks think the outcome will be based on board sentiment.

As a 2021 Bear Tag holder, I am concerned about what I'm reading as the leading option. Sounds like they are leaning towards allowing 2020 bear tag holders in SE AK units (among some others) to roll their tags into another year. It's not clear to me if they'll allow a 2020 tag holder to roll into, say, 2 years or 3 years from now, but I have to imagine most will want to hunt in 2021 or the board will make that the requirement.

I don't like the idea of essentially doubling the pressure in a given year. For selfish reasons, I don't want to deal with a ton of people. For pragmatic reasons, though, I don't view this as a sound management decision. Then again, I'm not a biologist.

Anyone have thoughts or insight on this?

Did anyone tune into this meeting on Tuesday that could share some insight into the direction the board is leaning? I understand there are proposals forthcoming with the board scheduled to vote on June 3rd, but am curious what folks think the outcome will be based on board sentiment.

As a 2021 Bear Tag holder, I am concerned about what I'm reading as the leading option. Sounds like they are leaning towards allowing 2020 bear tag holders in SE AK units (among some others) to roll their tags into another year. It's not clear to me if they'll allow a 2020 tag holder to roll into, say, 2 years or 3 years from now, but I have to imagine most will want to hunt in 2021 or the board will make that the requirement.

I don't like the idea of essentially doubling the pressure in a given year. For selfish reasons, I don't want to deal with a ton of people. For pragmatic reasons, though, I don't view this as a sound management decision. Then again, I'm not a biologist.

Anyone have thoughts or insight on this?

Based on my limited experience there, and depending where/when you intend to hunt; I would be surprised if you even noticed.

IMO, since the state considers bears pests, and a NR can still hunt bears next year along with the fact that those those permits are hunted DIY style (i.e. little money lost to the economy), if I had to guess, they'll just cancel the tag.

Seasons get canceled or reduced regularly once population information is gathered. In many instances, permits are drawn and issued months before the quota is established. For instance I'll bet hundreds of cow moose tags are canceled, even after people were successful drawing them a couple months ago. I see the SE bear hunt as a similar situation. Too bad, season is canceled. What if travel restrictions are still in place next spring?

Its a tough situation, and it sucks, but I really don't think that they should push the tags into next year and double it up. Maybe put both years in a hat, and pull out half? The guys that have tags for next year won't be happy either way, but the reality is that its not a lot of hunters either. The only reason there are draw tags in SE is because so many NR were wacking young bears and sows, or that was the perceived reason.

A recording of the meeting should be online somewhere. Search Alaska BOG meetings then find the meeting information.

@Bambistew if you had to guess, will there be a NR dall sheep season Aug 10?

Wish I had a crystal ball, but I would guess that it will be open but with hoops to jump through. The guides will be on the Gob's doorstep with torches otherwise. Losing an entire hunting season will put many out of business. The closure of the NR brown bear season has seriously put a dent in the economics of many businesses. If I had to guess, they will lift the travel ban sometime in the near future (probably mid/late May for fishing season), but will put some sort of mandate on coming into the state. Be it a mandatory quarantine time, total avoidance of villages, and/or require testing with a follow-up pre/post arrival.

I honestly think, even if the season was wide open come August, there will be fewer NR hunters. While some of those guys have the trip paid for, I think many are small business owners, who may be in a bind financially and will eat their deposit. Same goes for the guides. Some could be out of business due to losing out on $10,000s worth of business this spring. Many have lost half their yearly income or more, already. Do they continue to operate at a loss, or just fold up. Next year probably isn't looking too good for bookings with many small business in trouble.

Alaska is in really big trouble in the near future. Our 3 biggest industries, are either screwed, or in jeopardy. The oil field will be laying off people left and right shortly (Alaska crude is at ~$16bbl it costs $45-50 to get it to Valdez), tax revenue to the state is now approaching being equal to what fishing pays in taxes. $120M/year = cost of management. The state budget is around $4.5B, our "savings" accounts are drained. Tourism will be about 20% of normal, maybe. Cruise ships accounted for roughly 2/3-3/4 of the tourist each year, all canceled... Each tourist on average spends like $2500 in state (1.1M tourists a year). And lastly fishing... the season will be opening on the Copper soon (in a few weeks), along with Bristol shortly after. The companies are taking precautions, but if the virus makes it to those small villages (which is likely) it could be really bad. They have no hospitals. Is that a risk the government is willing to take to keep fishing going? I'm glad I don't have to make that call. The mining industry which is the 4th largest contributor to the economy seems to be holding its own for now. Gold/Silver demand continues, however the price of zinc is likely to collapse on what I've been reading lately. Red Dog (largest high grade zinc deposit in the world) provides a lot of money to the region in terms of wages, and royalties/taxes paid to the state and local governments and the Native companies - ~$100M a year That could easily be cut in half if the price continues to decline. I think we're just beginning to realize how deep he chit is getting. I guess the only thing we all have going, is that we're all fugged together.

Wish I had a crystal ball, but I would guess that it will be open but with hoops to jump through. The guides will be on the Gob's doorstep with torches otherwise. Losing an entire hunting season will put many out of business. The closure of the NR brown bear season has seriously put a dent in the economics of many businesses. If I had to guess, they will lift the travel ban sometime in the near future (probably mid/late May for fishing season), but will put some sort of mandate on coming into the state. Be it a mandatory quarantine time, total avoidance of villages, and/or require testing with a follow-up pre/post arrival.

I honestly think, even if the season was wide open come August, there will be fewer NR hunters. While some of those guys have the trip paid for, I think many are small business owners, who may be in a bind financially and will eat their deposit. Same goes for the guides. Some could be out of business due to losing out on $10,000s worth of business this spring. Many have lost half their yearly income or more, already. Do they continue to operate at a loss, or just fold up. Next year probably isn't looking too good for bookings with many small business in trouble.

Alaska is in really big trouble in the near future. Our 3 biggest industries, are either screwed, or in jeopardy. The oil field will be laying off people left and right shortly (Alaska crude is at ~$16bbl it costs $45-50 to get it to Valdez), tax revenue to the state is now approaching being equal to what fishing pays in taxes. $120M/year = cost of management. The state budget is around $4.5B, our "savings" accounts are drained. Tourism will be about 20% of normal, maybe. Cruise ships accounted for roughly 2/3-3/4 of the tourist each year, all canceled... Each tourist on average spends like $2500 in state (1.1M tourists a year). And lastly fishing... the season will be opening on the Copper soon (in a few weeks), along with Bristol shortly after. The companies are taking precautions, but if the virus makes it to those small villages (which is likely) it could be really bad. They have no hospitals. Is that a risk the government is willing to take to keep fishing going? I'm glad I don't have to make that call. The mining industry which is the 4th largest contributor to the economy seems to be holding its own for now. Gold/Silver demand continues, however the price of zinc is likely to collapse on what I've been reading lately. Red Dog (largest high grade zinc deposit in the world) provides a lot of money to the region in terms of wages, and royalties/taxes paid to the state and local governments and the Native companies - ~$100M a year That could easily be cut in half if the price continues to decline. I think we're just beginning to realize how deep he chit is getting. I guess the only thing we all have going, is that we're all fugged together.

The sobering reality of this virus crises! Great write up @Bambistew, brings it ALL into perspective!!!!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back