aAnybody hunt Sand Lake Muzzleloader?

Came back tonight from the hunt. When you apply for any hunt you never know what the variables will be. Shortly after getting the tag, I found out the place was flooding constantly this year over a good period of time. Seems like someone in the state was getting adequate moisture anyhow. Not bad in a drought year. Not really helpful for keeping deer there but them's the breaks.
Now the ice storm they had last week was an unplanned event. I decided to only hunt two days after experiencing what the conditions were. Everything has a half inch of ice on it outside of well-maintained State highways. The gravel roads are treacherous. The cattails sound like fields of glass and be careful if you decide to try and sit under a tree for fear of falling limbs. Only solution I came up with is walking very gingerly down the refuge roads and trying to find an ambush point for the deer you might see traveling. There didn't seem to be a lot of deer but there were some. Did I mention the ice? Its damn dangerous just walking on the roads. If you go there for a rifle season, be prepared and hope it warms up before then. Bring a stool or bucket to set on because there's nothing out there that is not covered with ice.
Not complaining, just relaying. Not all hunts are successful. Some are a test of your character and can still provide memories.
I have a Walworth tag for next weekend and they tell me they have twice as much ice. It is what it is. Good luck and be safe.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back