A very contraversial subject here in AK

Most of those bears will be right back where they started from in a month or two. But maybe that will give the moose calves a chance to grow a little and they'll have a better chance of survival.

It is a very good and interesting article.

Are Alaskans prepared to spend the money every year to move bears out of every area where they want more moose?

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 06-08-2003 11:18: Message edited by: Ithaca 37 ]</font>

Ithica, Thats one of the points that has come up alot. Some of the bears will make there way back, I think the article mentioned 1 already is on its way back. Plus, the locals also want the wolves gone, so they are paying 60K+ for a half ass job. I think its worth it for the next 4 years, if for nothing else its a test bed. Nothing like this has been done before on this level. Of course more has to be done. They need to restrict hunting (which is part of the original plan) and cut back the wolves.

The state could have saved alot of money if they would let the people do aerial shooting. Remember this isnt hunting this is predator control. Aerial hunting to me isnt ethically right but these folks gotta put meat on there table. Non-res hunters and non local hunters should be restricted as far as I'm concerned.

Back