Caribou Gear Tarp

A Bird In The Hand…thanks CO

Skynard

CO license surrender deadline is June 6th. If I understand, I will get my money and my points back. Knowing that I can back out of any tags for free, I went into the draw liberally.

Bird in the hand:
Currently, I hold a 3rd season mule deer tag and a 1st season elk tag in CO. All were drawn with 1 point.

Two in the bush:
Expecting a Wyoming gen. mule deer tag that had 100% chance in last years draw with <2 points.

Assuming that all three tags have relative equal hunt quality/ experience (none are glory tags). Do I give up a CO tag in hand to likely draw a WY tag?
I only have one week to take off for a western hunt every year.

Likely to draw WY but you never know with the points game now a days. Last year 100% chance with the point level below mine as well. Surely points won’t creep that much..

I only have one week to take off for a western hunt every year. I’m trying not to eat a deer tag out of the gate.

Let me know your thoughts. I’m sure some of you are in similar boats.

I don't think it's about one in the hand and two in the bush. Its about what hunt/hunts would you prefer? If you'd rather do Wyoming then give up the colorado tags

It's a good problem to have, but a problem nonetheless.

I have no advice. Whatever you choose, I hope you have a good hunt and kill something nice.

I think you rather shot yourself in the foot here… you can return the CO tags but also set yourself back a year by only keeping the point you have and not having gained new points. Might not be as easy to draw either tag next year… But you also never know with WY creep so if you do that and don’t draw now you have nothing. My 100% honest opinion and what I would do is return the CO deer tag, keep the elk tag, and figure out a way to take more time and do both hunts if you get WY deer and the dates are overlapping/close.

Within your one week off, I'd keep the Colorado deer tag for now, return the elk tag now, get your money back on the colorado deer tag if you draw the wyoming tag.

If it were actually me, I'm hunting them all, life is too short.

Back